View Single Post
01-10-2006, 07:11 PM
jhmattern is offline jhmattern
Expertise:
Software:

jhmattern is on a distinguished road

Old

I'm not a designer, but all of my clients are offline. (music, writing, and small business publicity). For me that means going to clubs and bars, meeting with bands, and visiting small businesses. Most of my work with businesses is done onthe phone though. For what you're talking about, a great thing to do might be to get some biz cards printed up, and post them to bulletin boards in public places, and even some larger office buildings. Choose one office building that has a lot of smaller businesses in it. Browse some of their web sites. See if anyone obviously needs some work done. Send them a proposal for a small project, and see if they bite. If they do, and they like your work, talk to them about further and larger projects. If they're still happy with your work, ask them flat out if they know of anyone else in the building who may need similar work done, and at least leave them a business card and ask them to remember you if they hear about other possible projects in the building. Some of those buildings are pretty tight-knit .. at least the one I used to work in was. Everyone knew everyone, and any contractor we used served several other clients in the building. That ranged from anything like designers, to what water company people used for their break rooms. Give something like that a shot to get you started.