View Single Post
02-10-2006, 03:56 PM
kork is offline kork
Software:

kork is on a distinguished road

Old

*ahem, I made a post a few days ago and after a ton of responses from kids under 18, I initially decided that I was in the wrong place. I'm a career professional and do this for a living and pay my own mortgage.

That said, I've also been reading some of the other posts and one thing I do find is this. Kids are great at finding free or cheap things on the web which I don't have the time to look for. If I wan't free stock photos for a quick job, guess what? Some kid here will most likely know where to find them... It's actually an interesting resource.

The other consideration (And I rememebr when I was 16) was that I didn't waste my time at work. I wasted it playing on the Internet and I knew a whole lot more about tech than I do now. Now 8 hours a day I need to work for a living. I'm getting much better about business, but to the sacrifice of technology. I've found the stuff on this forum to be quite decent. The only thing I don't agree with is many of the rates that the kids are charging, but then again. Doesn't really matter because my clients are different than a kids clients. No better, no worse, just different.(Mr. Andersen, You know who you are so DON'T ATTACK ME for that comment!) =)

NOW, the one thing that I can agree on is that a forum called "Talk Freelance" is kindof indicating career freelancers. I've been a student for a long long time and I never considered myself a freelancer who could dispense industry advice. Freelance is 20% skill, and 80% business so to have a forum swamped with kids, kindof feels odd since they have very little business experience. You can argue all you want, but Freelance web design is a career, hobby web design is not and that's what it seems a lot of people here do. I guess it's a mixed bag of stuff. No worries though. It's all good.

P.S For what it's worth, one reason I'm sticking around is cause I like the green in the forums colours = )