View Single Post
09-28-2006, 02:25 PM
jjmac is offline jjmac
Software:

jjmac is on a distinguished road

Old

Depends on what the project is. As a developer, tableless save you and anyone else who follows you a lot of time down the road. For the following reasons:

* Once you learn tableless design, it's much easier and much faster to develop (this alone should be enough to convince anyone who does a lot of coding)

* Since you seperate content from layout, you can change the way a page looks at any time by modifying the style. You don't even have to open up the content files, so you have no chance of screwing them up

* Anyone familiar with CSS based layouts can come in behind you and easily see how things work and make changes. Since div tags are labled (or should be) contextually, you know exactly what content is layed out where just by looking at the ID (i.e. <div id="header"> will obviously contain the header)

* It's read easier by parsers such as search engines

* It's more compatible with secondary devices such as PDA's, cell phones, etc. In fact you can use seperate style sheets on the same page to dictate how each device should see the page

It's about versatility, speed and control over a web page. If you're doing a one time project that you will never touch again and they will never need updated, AND it's faster for you to code tables, then it might benefit you time wise to code it tables. But if you code a lot of pages, CSS saves you a great deal of time once you've learned it.

For me it has nothing to do with a bandwagon, it's about making my life easier.