View Single Post
11-24-2006, 07:19 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

some say my process takes too long, but it goes like this:
  1. sketch pad - basic placement wire frame for architecture - just boxes with '{ITEM} here' to establish how the site will be constructed
  2. bigger book for storyboard sketches - larger more detailed pencil sketch. takes into accomodation for shapes, rough size estimates, colours, type choices, functionality notes and basic "detail" sketches is i get a detailed idea fast enough. i make seperate sketches for each page that has a unique page layout - ie home/splash, content pages, conact + site uniques.
  3. photoshop interface template with lorem ipsum filler for type, graphic (header/menu heights etc) and margin sizing. just one template to establish look and feel.
  4. photoshop refinements of storyboards (long process) - all the intense graphic design detail - place holders are replaced by final designs/photos/content. page layout is adjusted according to content. basically the actual design stage. if there's flash involved i create as much in illsutrator as possible and import to photoshop for placement/alignment.
  5. import the illustrator files and begin animating. esport swfs to localhost directory
  6. localhost build out - i build out the unique page designs in xhtml/css to get my template code ready. if it runs off a database, i set up the tables, plus in some dummy content and begin the templating process. if it's static, i just build out the remaning pages.
  7. test, refine, repeat