View Single Post
04-14-2010, 10:50 PM
Jordan is offline Jordan
Expertise: CSS, HTML, PHP
Software: Sublime Text 2

Jordan is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Artashes View Post
Sounds like a far stretch from printing copies and fetching coffee, and frankly, a very fair opportunity.

I am also sure people know what an internship is, especially that, as I understand, a small stipend is available.
I'd recommend rereading my post as well as the links I provided. He does in fact notate a small stipend but if the "unpaid internship" involves work that benefits the company and/or is akin to what a paid employee performs, that that intern is legally obligated to a wage if there is no stipend given at all.

Internships must comply with six federal legal criteria that must be satisfied in order to be unpaid. http://wdr.doleta.gov/directives/att...GL12-09acc.pdf

Among those criteria are that the internship should be similar to the training given in a vocational school or academic institution, that the intern does not displace regular paid workers and that the employer “derives no immediate advantage” from the intern’s activities — in other words, it’s largely a benevolent contribution to the intern.
The fact I bring this up is to ensure that if anyone is interested in this internship, they are well aware of the fact that if they are not paid and their work benefits the company, they are entitled to file a complaint to be owed wages.

Also, my example of what an UNPAID internship was of basic tasks that do not financially benefit the company. Those examples are legal tasks that an unpaid intern can perform. Items, that Bryan lists, such as designing a client's website, or helping to code a client's website.. those are both examples of what an unpaid intern cannot do. If they do perform those while they're unpaid, they're legally entitled to file a claim against the company to be given wages due for work.