View Single Post
04-15-2010, 09:54 AM
Artashes is offline Artashes
Expertise: Media, business development
Software: Excel, Pen&Paper, Slack, Figma

Artashes is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
I'd recommend rereading my post as well as the links I provided. He does in fact notate a small stipend but if the "unpaid internship" involves work that benefits the company and/or is akin to what a paid employee performs, that that intern is legally obligated to a wage if there is no stipend given at all.
A stipend is money. Money is pay. Not as ideal as in the real world, but such is the nature of internships.

Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Also, my example of what an UNPAID internship was of basic tasks that do not financially benefit the company. Those examples are legal tasks that an unpaid intern can perform. Items, that Bryan lists, such as designing a client's website, or helping to code a client's website.. those are both examples of what an unpaid intern cannot do. If they do perform those while they're unpaid, they're legally entitled to file a claim against the company to be given wages due for work.
Let's just forget for a minute that there is a small stipend to begin with.

A young designer has a real chance to prove herself/himself and potentially land a full time job. Even if it was an unpaid position, it sounds like a great opportunity for any creative individual looking to enter this field professionally to go through this practical experience.

Why would anyone even try to willingly get this position... and then what - file a claim? It sounds like an oxymoron. So its very simple - if you, or anyone, don't find it interesting, don't apply.