Lowengard is offline Lowengard
Expertise: all editorial, bsns consulting
Software: zotero

Lowengard is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Wallflower--
Here's how I read the timeline of this venture:
1. You finish a class in web design.
This opens your eyes to all the new design possibilities, and makes very clear to you how many people have really lousy sites
2. You want to build or start your business.
It seems logical to start with companies you know/use that have these bad websites. As a customer, you know their stuff. You identify one or two or a few.
3. You stop in or call or email. You have a valuable proposition for them. You will redesign their crappy website make it look new and up-to-date. . .and it won't cost them a thing.
They get: a better site. You get: something to add to your portfolio.
4. The potential client says yes.
What does he have to lose? You're offering to give him something without any real way to demand that he use it.
5. It then turns out that the potential client has an established arrangement with another designer.
That arrangement includes exactly the control you're hoping they'll give you once you've re-designed the site.
6. You decide that arrangement is not going to help you build your business in any meaningful way and decide to drop it.

This is a classic example of why this approach is not a great way to build your business. If, that is, you're serious about having a lasting business. What happened?

1. Giving in to the arrogance of the new graduate, you see yourself as The Authority. You assume that everyone will want to take advantage of all this new information you can share with them.
This a not-unusual response to learning something new, especially if it rearranges your own ideas about something you've been doing for a while. It's not limited to web designers, or even creatives. It's a little like religious proselytizing: you've got this great message you want to bring to everyone.
2. You also interpret the fact that a website doesn't impress you to mean that the shop or service doesn't have a designer, a design policy or long or short-range plans regarding the website.
What can I say? Do your research. Do your research before you approach the client. How much time did you spend on this project that will now go nowhere? How much of the work you did/lessons you learned can be transferred to another job?
3. When the scenario you've concocted in your head doesn't work out, you're wounded.

My conclusion is that this venture was all about you, and not about your potential client or that client's needs and how you could serve them. And you didn't really have a plan larger than "lets see what happens if I do this." Many people who start businesses are fooled by the "oh it's easy, you just have to [do this]" descriptions. If you're moonlighting or don't need a steady income it can be easy. Otherwise. . .well, it just isn't.