View Single Post
01-23-2006, 07:11 PM
jared is offline jared
Expertise:
Software:

jared is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to jared Send a message via Skype™ to jared

Old

I think TF is a great place. The people make or break the forums but other qualities/features certainly help .

Some things I think might be beneficial:

1. New design. I think TF's design is great. However, I think there are some issues. Not a fan of the fixed width. I think it is easier on the eyes not to have everything bunched up and I find it easier to read other vb forums that are not limited to XXX width. Although I must say TF has implemented it the best and it does look nice. Originally I can see how it was beneficial. The XXXpx width allows the site to seem more "full". So as the site is getting started off and has less content, the fixed width makes the forum seem more active by keeping all the content in a smaller space. However, I think TF is getting big enough now where this isn't an issue.

I could go either way on the colors. I think the colors work great for the site but are not near as unique as they use to be. TF was one of the "more original" sites to use the light green/blue combo but unfortuantly desingners these days use and abuse those colors like a red headed step child.

I like the front page (also have the same issue of many people ripping the exact design lately), but it would be cool to have the frontpage have info on it other than just the forum itself. Maybe a block for "member of the week". Each week a different member is chosen with short writeup/bio on a member with a picture. Doesn't have to be some "great honor", just to get to know the community better. Also maybe some TF news or the previously mentioned articles. Really just little features to mix things up. Personally I would just like to see a front page that offered so much more than just a "forum". If I wanted to go straight to the forums then I could do that as well. www.talkfreelance.com/forums, problem solved :P

2. vb upgrade would be nice although I think to the majority of people it really doesn't make much of a difference. I know that is on the TF "list to do" anyways.

3. more options. I think periodically new features/hacks keep people wanting more. One of the old forums I go on had a 'thing' where about every 1 or 2 months they would install a mod/hack/feature to the forums. Usually nothing major, but it was just enough to keep people loving it. Sometimes they would take suggestions and other times they would just pick something. Either way it just kept things interesting. An option I would like to see would possible more member options. More profile features, maybe even user galleries. I love forums that give the users lots of "toys" to mess with.

4. The face. The big grin face has to be my favorite smiley of all times!

5. Wouldn't mind seeing a couple new sections. Maybe a 'hardware' section or something of that nature. I like getting in discussions like "what should my new computer be", "how to setup RAID0", or "what laptop PWNZZ" etc. However, I often don't venture into the off topic area.

I will brain storm and see if I can come up with some other suggestions. TF has been great so far and I am sure it will only get better. Robson seems to have a knack (sp?) for business so I'm sure things will evolve great.

Cheers

edit: didn't realize BigZee is the new owner! Opps! Congrats Z