View Single Post
02-26-2006, 09:23 PM
rockmedia is offline rockmedia
Software:

rockmedia is on a distinguished road

Old

People are starting to get the wrong idea of a CMS and a blog.

A CMS is a total site control which you can edit your site, usually it has a user portal and other features (From a generic standpoint). A custom built one isn't hard, and it's not going to say "I am using a prebuilt site" because you can easily do it with about 30 lines of code (if you want to just use it to update your portfolio page). A dynamic one (making new pages) would be a bit more complicated, but not really.

Personally, I make all my CMS's myself because:
1) You know how to edit it, and there is no need to take days to learn how to edit something when you could just be making it

2) It's more professional

3) If there are errors in the coding, you're going to know what to do

4) If you want to add more features it's easier to do then looking through a lot of code from another thing

5) There is so much less ammount of coding, these things you download off sites are full of unwanted code and so many useless features that, believe it or not, will never ever been touched.

So all in all just make your own or hire someone to do it. It's alot better then just downloading someone elses code and then trying to figure out what to do with it next.