View Single Post
04-07-2012, 11:27 AM
creativejen is offline creativejen
Expertise: design, front-end markup
Software: Photoshop

creativejen is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via MSN to creativejen

Old

Hi guys - thanks for the feedback on my idea presented to Artashes.

Just to explain it in a little bit more detail. The idea came to me when I was just looking at the homepage and looking at the forums more towards the bottom, and I asked myself 1 question, why do I not post in any of those?

These areas I would say have to become more visible. These areas are the core reason of this forum. Freelancers help other freelancers alike in those sections.

But going back to my question that I asked myself, why do I not post there? I could only think of 1 answer. The 'designer' friends of mine are mostly well-known, probably not even members here, but when I ask them for feedback / criticism on my work or if they ask me for feedback what I get is far more better than what I would get from the design & development forums on here.

Which then led me to another question, simply.. why? So after some thought I could only come up with 1 logical answer. Well-known and / or highly experienced designers / developers / businessmen, will only 'want' feedback from those people like them. A designer with 20 years experience, may not even read or take in - feedback from a member / designer thats not been around very long.

I've even noticed it myself, back when I was starting out, no known designer on these forums wanted anything to do with me. Mostly because its tiresome to explain things to someone with little understanding or knowledge / experience.

I believe we are secretly - unconciously seperated into groups. Just think about that for a second and ask yourself this, how many 'new/beginner' designers or coders or businessmen do I know and talk to regularly?

You can only really ask that question if you are well-experienced. If not, you are probably one of them and can answer that question with a double figure.

Beginners / Moderate designers, coders, businessmen, either go about their own way to find their own ground, or they befriend people like them to discuss each others work.

If i ask myself, if I befriend a beginner - could he truely help me, could he give me the feedback that I really need? The answer is no.

So to my idea, the current forums would slightly change in terms of visibility and importance. Which will bring back some of the foundations as it becomes more active. These forums would be open. Open to all existing members no matter what type of freelancer you are.

This private forum, or 'secret clan as someone calls it, will only consists of approved freelancers, those with tonnes of experience and a good ground to show it. People can apply, however it will mostly be invite-only. This elite area of designers / coders and businessmen would be able to feedback and liase with each other just the same as I do amongst my designer friends privately - and we can be certain to get quality feedback - feedback that we are looking for.

However, some of us 'elite players, may have a heart to help out some of the beginners / moderate freelancers, which would be found on the open forums, and if one chooses to do so, they can be thanked which would increase ones reputation etc.

Hope that explains it a bit more for you, I tried not to be too vague.

Thanks,
Adam.