01-10-2011, 12:42 AM
meltingwaves is offline meltingwaves
Expertise: designing, blogging
Software: Adobe Creative Suite CS5

meltingwaves is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to meltingwaves

Old

SpellItOut,

I believe that balance, harmony, and minimalism are the three elements that logos need but most logos don't have.

Every aspect of your logo needs to be balanced out. Think of how the icon will look when it sits beside the text that says the company name. How will they look sitting beside each other? Make sure one doesn't outdo the other. They both need to be bold and noticeable, so be sure to balance them.

This related to keeping all element of the logo harmonious and unified. You can't have an icon that looks like it's a completely different element than the text, and you can't have text that completely stands out from the icon. They have to work together and help one another create a visual flow throughout the logo. You don't want your viewers to be focused on just the icon and not the text, or just the text without the icon. They need to be focused on both, and it's your job to make that happen by creating a flawless integration between the icon and the text.

Also make sure that you pay attention to the rules of minimalism in logo design. Too often I see designers trying to come up with big, flashy, in-your-face logos that really just don't do anything for me and also lack an understanding of clean logo design. Look at the most powerful logos in the world like Nike and McDonalds. They're incredibly simple, yet you'd recognize them anywhere you go. Keep your logo minimalistic and powerful.