View Single Post
06-05-2012, 06:05 PM
Dan is offline Dan
Software:

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Looks like a typical Reddit/Digg like site with people ranking up the links/stories. This concept has been around the web forever and it has its own set of problems (those that spam these sites by ranking up certain material up).
These sites do well to filter spam. Where Digg failed is they began allowing paid posts to overtake top positions, like you're doing now in the marketplace now.

I can potentially see how it could be interesting for the discussions part of the community.
Are you referring to replies being structured by quality as opposed to date? Or the voting system. Either way both are huge improvements to vBulletin's IA.

However, you have not address the issues of data/membership migration and integration of other services like the marketplace, blog and other apps that we might bring forward.
Port the data over. It's just tables. The only major problem you will encounter is password hashing - vBulletin will probably go anal if you rip their code. I'm no lawyer.

In truth you're not porting that much. I'd guess you're losing 50% of the db as most of it is unneeded bloat-ware. Users, threads, and comments. That's all you need.

Are there any scripts that would actually tie this concept into an actual community with ability to edit posts, quote on replies, attach items, etc - forum-style? Developing a custom application for this purpose, thus reinventing the wheel is out of the question.
There are dozens of frameworks and CMS's. Roll with one.