View Single Post
02-20-2006, 10:09 PM
echoSwe is offline echoSwe
Software:

echoSwe is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by jon
I was simply following the design principals outlined in this article. The website itself is going to fall into the web 2.0 category, hence, this being a web 2.0 design.
To sum it all up, there is no web 2.0. There has never been either. Rounded corners, javascript animations, asynchronos javascripting and xml, pastel colours, large type faces etc are all just current design clichés. I'm not saying I don't like them, but just as fasion shifts in the world of clothing, so does fasion on the web. To me it's more about knowing your own style and knowing how to create accessible, standards compliant, easy to use and nice looking web sites. Whether or not they have another third layer of xmlHttpRequest making up for the navigation logic, is irrelevant - what matters is bringing your content to your audience as smoothly and pleasantly as possible.

Now, I'm not trying to bash the design, because it's nice, really. :P, I'm just saying that the hype about web 2.0 has obviously gotten here, too (after some months obviously), and there is really no reason to try to mimic all of that - the examples the "Naked IT" blog gives, are imho quite ugly. I mean - who wants a site that looks like https://gtalkr.com/ with a name you can barely pronounce and a layout created using flash and javascript that turns out like my attached image when you disable javascript??

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gtalkr.jpg (86.8 KB, 29 views)