View Single Post
05-18-2005, 12:58 PM
taichi is offline taichi
Expertise:
Software:

taichi is on a distinguished road

Old  Program as a Career

If you truly enjoy programming, you may enjoy it as a career but there are a lot of things to consider. I have been a programmer for 10 years now. I currently do .NET , and MS-SQL but I have also done Java, and VB, PHP and MySql and of course javascript. I see lots of messages talking about the virtues of one language over another. The bottom line is no one language can do everything well. (Despite what its proponents may say). What language you should use or would be appropriate depends on what you are trying to accomplish and the environment you are trying to accomplish it in. When you are starting out I would focus on learning good programming technique, many good techniques (and unfortunately bad ones as well) carryover into any programming language. After a while you start to realize that the programming language isn't a big deal, you can learn a new programming language fairly quickly, ONCE you know how to program. If you really want to have a career in programming then I would learn PHP MySQL and .NET and any other languages that have some traction in the marketplace. Also if you want to be a programmer, do yourself and your future clients a favor and learn how to design a good database, take a class or buy a good book on DB design. As a freelancer the more languages you can program in the more work you will be eligible for.

Just my 2cents.