View Single Post
11-17-2012, 05:44 PM
Regina222 is offline Regina222
Software:

Regina222 is on a distinguished road

Old

Thanks, both of you! This is very helpful.

Turn the speeches into a cogent, multi-chapter book?
Yes. I will be turning the CEO's first-person ramblings into a third-person narrative.

Format the document and deliver "camera ready?" . . . Compile an index or bibliography?
I just emailed the client to verify these things. They do want an index of people mentioned in the book, and I think they will want me to compile it.

Do research into the history of the company (beyond reading whatever is on their website)?
No. I asked about research beyond the transcript, and the client hadn't thought of this. They don't think there would be time for the project to include research.

That brings me to the deadline: they need the finished product by January 17, the CEO's retirement date. They want to know if I can have a first draft by December 7. That gives me three weeks and means I will need to work a lot over Thanksgiving. I haven't yet received the new copy of the transcript with the CEO's edits (I was told I'd receive it yesterday), and I told them I need that to determine whether Dec. 7 will work as a deadline and to give them an estimate of my fee. Does this seem like a quick turnaround to you? Should my fee reflect a quick turnaround?

When you set a per-word fee, how do you handle revisions and meeting time? And do you ever run into the problem of a client deciding to cut a long section that you spend a lot of time on?

I read a bunch of online information and a couple of books on building a freelance writing business, but I'm still struggling a bit with how to set a rate that compensates me fairly for everything this project involves without making the client think I'm charging too much. Online I see everything from a few cents per word to a few dollars per word.

If I charge 20 cents per word and the finished product is 20,000 words, the total fee would be $4,000. Does that sound about right for what I'm describing? To high? Too low?