View Single Post
08-06-2011, 09:23 PM
chaka42 is offline chaka42
Expertise:
Software:

chaka42 is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via AIM to chaka42 Send a message via MSN to chaka42 Send a message via Skype™ to chaka42

Old

Ok, so, starting from scratch. I'm going to break it down how I would proceed and hope that it will help.

1. Write up a contract or agreement on the duties you'll be performing, the price, what they need to provide, etc. Always, always, protect yourself. See #3 for more information.

2. Research the domains, registrars and hosting companies and compose a list of your recommendations for them to review. I always have the client handle the registration and hosting payments. Unless they're hosting on my accounts, they should be responsible for this so they have the necessary information for future reference.

3. Have them fill out a website brief that gives you the specifications for the project. Things to include in the brief: budget, goals of the site as it pertains to the users, how the site can enhance day-to-day operations within the organization, sites they like (have them list specifics), how the site will be updated once completed, do they want the site integrated into a content management system?, accurate timetables for project completion (include approval process, testing phase, etc.), who will be providing content?, how the site will be measured for success, how the new site will be promoted, and what your responsibilities will be (be very, very clear).

4.Once you have a full understanding of the project scope, you can start working on the number of hours the project will take to complete. You should be able to figure out about how long certain tasks take to complete. From there, break down the project into tasks and then start calculating. You're pricing/rate will be determined by the ## of hours X rate. Be generous. I always overestimate my time and include unexpected delays. At the end, customers are happy to see that the actual time was less which makes the bill lower than they expect. This makes for a happy client.

5. If you are lacking in certain skills, don't be afraid to seek out professionals that can handle those aspects of the project. It's always good to develop relationships with folks whose skills complement yours. Keep in mind that good help is hard to find, so be diligent when you search.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Thanked by:
Artashes (08-07-2011)