View Single Post
09-01-2005, 05:31 PM
AJCrowley is offline AJCrowley
Software:

AJCrowley is on a distinguished road

Old  Time For a New Editor

I've been using Homesite since version 2, and I still love it.

Unfortunately, since Macromedia bought it out (way to stop it from outselling your second rate editor guys), they have shown no commitment to continued development, and now that they're owned by Adobe, the chances of ever seeing an update are looking pretty slim.

While Homesite is still hands down the best editor that I've ever used for everything from HTML, CSS, ASP, PHP, through to Windows scripting, it's beginning to show its age in some areas. I've searched high and low for a suitable replacement, but nothing I've seen even comes close, for my needs at least.

I was contemplating beginning development (in vs.net) of a "Homesite Replacement" type app. Basically Homesite, but more customizeable, easier to extend through regexp code highlighting etc, with a more up to date style text editor (more like MS's Visual Studio.net). I hate using third party controls, but these guys seem to have the right kind of idea. It would also be nice to have some kind of extensions interface, so that for example, there could be a visual database query/browser, but if you don't want to use it, you don't have to load it.

While going through the project outline and goals, it occurred to me that this really is a monstrous task for a single developer, and so at this point, I'm considering two options - is there already an application out there that fits the bill (bearing in mind the features that I've mentioned, I have no interest in Notepad2 or CrimsonEdit)? The second option is to put together a team of talented developers to bring this project to life, would anyone be interested in undertaking such a project?

Regards,

AJ