View Single Post
07-28-2011, 05:21 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Village Genius View Post
The composition of your message makes it pretty clear that you are looking for reasons against sharepoint but want some justification before saying what you already know. Microsoft doesn't own the internet, I'd say that the majority of blogs out there are predisposed against Microsoft because its popular. Go on Google before asking on forums, the first few results for "sharepoint as a cms" talk about some of its issues and certainly aren't "Microsoft's biased sites"
i can speculate reasons not to use sharepoint as a public facing cms, but my experience with it is limited, therefore the support for my arguments will be just as limited.

if i return to the client and my recommendation is that the last 3 months and (tens of) thousands of dollars spent making a public facing sharepoint site were a waste and should actually drop it and start over because the issues they are experience can't be fixed within the SP framework, i will need a lot more than a good/bad comparison chart of sharepoint vs other cms platforms (which were never specified, so i have no proof they're much better, or could even recommend one if that were the case).

forgive me if i sound bitter, normally i would agree, i know enough to google myself before asking for help. however, since my research time is limited i simply asked if anyone had ever experienced this debate previously and may be able to point me towards some useful information, before i spent my whole alloted time sifting through pointless marketing material about how sharepoint could be used as a cms, or debates about sharepoint vs another cms i don't want to use, and i'm still as uninformed as i was when i started.

i came up with 3 pages of faults sharepoint has caused to this website. theoretically, i know how to fix them all. the trick is can sharepoint do what's necessary to fix them, and if not, are they worth scrapping it for? that's where i will need details on sp capabilities from someone who's tried to deal with them previously, either from a public article, or someone just sharing their insights.