03-14-2009, 08:06 PM
Andrew R is offline Andrew R
Expertise:
Software:

Andrew R is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Cushioned View Post
DIVs all the way. It is the newest type of HTML out there -> XHTML

It requires the knowledge of CSS, but is substantially better.
-Quicker load times
-Easier to understand
-Tables weren't meant for layouts -> Meant for holding data
-Far less errors
-Neater code
And many other reasons.

Professional companies keep away from tables and stick to the newest and most efficient type of coding out there.

Hope this helps!
-Cushioned
There is so much wrong with this post, I'm not sure where to start.

First of all, yes, XHTML is the new 'version' of HTML, however, divs are not exclusive to XHTML as your post makes it seem.

"Far less errors" isn't necessarily true. I've seen relatively valid table sites, and absolutely horrible tableless sites with dozens to hundreds of errors. It is how you write your code, not what you use.

"Professional companies" is very subjective. There are some very large, professional, multi-million/billion dollar companies that still use tables for their websites (even some that are web based). Have you ever looked at the source code of Amazon? Sure, they use tables for tabular data in all proper instances, however, they have other tables used for layout all over the site.

--

Back to the OP question, I highly recommend using tableless over tables. You can do some googling, or read some other posts to get of an idea why. No sense in writing stuff that's written hundreds of other times all over this and other websites.