View Single Post
06-19-2012, 12:02 PM
Lowengard is offline Lowengard
Expertise: all editorial, bsns consulting
Software: zotero

Lowengard is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

You actually engaging people on Google+, or just doing the "if you build it they will come" routine?

After about 6 months I'm still trying to figure out how to use google + effectively. I went in for the first time in a while yesterday, and discovered a lot of people I don't know had put me in their circles: I plan to think up some way to interact with these strangers once the current Big Deadline is over. It's a different kind of community, or set of communities from Facebook, or LinkedIn or Twitter.

And I think it's still pretty early in the cycle, especially for a system its owners plan to engage hundreds of millions of people. Facebook (not the best example but an easy one) really wasn't a literal overnight success: When I had a personal account back in the early '00s I had trouble finding "friends" on it who weren't students, former students or my brothers. (The cool people, it was explained to me, were on MySpace.)

My point is that internet-based social media websites (like everything else) go through predictable cycles. Google+ may well explode in usefuleness in the fairly near future. The question is: will there be any advantage to you to being in on the ground floor, if you're not a Google zombie to start with?