View Single Post
03-10-2005, 11:16 AM
Lord Kalthorn is offline Lord Kalthorn
Expertise:
Software:

Lord Kalthorn is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn

Old

Show me a decent site designed in Dreamweaver?

I would give Dreamweaver a go; but recently my cracks have not been working. Last time I used it however; it was messy and very much like Fireworks and Flash MX... its just... messy. The ASP.NET it pumps out is dreadful, I only really had a look at that and have yet to test its Design View which is probably as messy as the Flash MX stuff they attempt to call GUI. Frontpage is easy - which is what you want in that kind of program. It gives you what you want when you want it and not everything it has, in the case of Dreamweaver not that much all at once.

Actual Developer Tools; like Visual Studio 2005 and to a lesser extent the Free Web Matrix from the ASP.NET Site are far superior tools - both use Frontpage Server Extensions which was what I was talking about earlier Not the extensive and useful tools of Frontpage which are of great use to all who don't want to make Web Pages for a Living; people who want to make a Web Page visually in simple HTML to run on whatever Free Hosting they may have and to work instantly in Internet Explorer, no Standards, no checking, just instant pumped out code with the site looking as they made it in however long they did; two, maybe three hours. Frontpage Server Extensions double this advantage up - with the simplicity of putting in the site address, the Username and Password, and having Drag and Drop ability on the Files. Instant update - even making the site from its External Source and having every save popup onto the internet. Its great with High-Power ASP.NET in Visual Studio 2005 because nobody wants to wait for their PC's Virtual Server to pump back the page, they want the Server to do that and hence the files get saved to the Server as they're written and executed when the page is brought up for testing in the finalised Environment.

FTP has this... in a certain extent but to make even the smallest change you still need to pull up the site; you have to have the site on your Computer or you have to pull it back from the Server once, then update it with your new file. Its just dreadfully inconvenient especially in a Development Environment where you may have ten, twenty; but even as little as two people working on the site from different countries. Frontpage Server Extensions allow the Developers to see what is happening instantly. Save pages to the site directly for anybody else to then see and test and check off the list of things to do. Have the ability to give full tests while people are writing, save while other people are and not have a fear of overwriting something somebody else is doing because you always have the latest version of the site.

Maybe in PHP Development it doesn't matter But in ASP.NET Development we find it useful to know what people are doing when they are doing it; and no fear that you're overwriting what somebody else is doing merely by uploading your new version with every other file a few hours behind the Development. Even if you don't like Frontpage, or indeed use it; I can't see how people develop sites without the Server Extensions.