View Single Post
04-02-2013, 08:09 PM
vVv is offline vVv
Software:

vVv is on a distinguished road

Old  Your take on moderating first time users...

Just curious as to how you handle first time users at your forums. I'm wondering if it's wise to limit newly "Registered" users to creating an "Introduction" thread first, and it's moderated. Then once confirming if they're spam or legit, elevate their "status" to "Member" usergroup, which gives them more forum access and feature access?

Basically all "main forums", like News and Updates, Suggestions and Feedback, Member Web Sites and etc are limited to "reply only" but moderated as well. All other community forums can be seen and etc, just not able for registered users to post new threads and etc though. In a sense, basically forcing users to post a decent Introduction thread first, then be manually elevated to "Member".

Is this considered bad? I guess, spam prevention falls on software and anti-spam plugins as well as the staff to delete and ban spammers. I guess I just want the users to post at least a good Introduction thread, and it be known that they're in fact a legit/member"... Not just letting any newly registered person join, spam bombing any and all sections.

As done here, you need to make a few posts first, before accessing marketplace and other areas. I suppose I could do that as well, but if they know that, then they might also post X to XX crappy posts that don't help either lol. I just want to also make "legit" users into "Member" group for all "legit" people though too. Thoughts?