View Single Post
01-29-2013, 06:53 PM
Curt2199 is offline Curt2199
Expertise: programming, Drupal
Software: Fireworks, Dreamweaver

Curt2199 is on a distinguished road

Old  Client called a year later and wants website files

I build Drupal websites for a consulting company as a freelance job. I'm a Drupal Developer/Admin at a University by day.

What's everyone's general practice for post-project file storage? I normally don't keep files more than a few months at most unless I am wanting to keep something as a demo site. Recently, a client for a very small website that we built (< 25 hours Dev time) called and was frantic because "somehow" his GoDaddy hosting plan had been cancelled and all files deleted. He immediately requested all of the files for the website when it was initially build a year ago because he was moving it to 1and1 (you can see where this is going). The only files we had were the PSD files for the design as the designers generally hang onto those. He became angry and proceeded to question how we weren't obligated to keep these files for him and I tried to explain to him that I build a product and deliver it to the customer and what they do with it beyond that is their own responsibility. Granted there wasn't a handoff of physical media at the project close but all files were transferred to their server hosting plan with GoDaddy and made live.

In the future I do plan to go ahead and copy down the DB backup and website files and zip them up and archive them somewhere just to make it easy if this were to happen again, however I did offer him a very discounted price to rebuild it to the same condition that it was in when it was handed off the first time and after settling down, he appears to have agreed to that. I told him I'd require full payment up front this time.