View Single Post
06-18-2007, 05:31 PM
Sam Granger is offline Sam Granger
Expertise:
Software:

Sam Granger is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Sam Granger

Old  Making money with domain names

Hello there! This is a quick tutorial on how to make a nice buck by registering and selling domains.

First of all, I must say the following. If you have a good domain, you are better off developing it and keeping it for yourself instead of it. Only sell a good domain if its not of interest or if you dont have time/money to invest into it.

One thing I always do is think of good domains. Lets say something silly like photoshoptutorials.com. As you cn see, it has a parking page. Do a whois search and see when it expires. Write this all down in your agenda or whatever and when it comes to that day, see if the owner renewed or not. If he hasn't, you have to wait a while untill you can re-register the domain - some people might do this quicker then you, there are quite a few online services that register expired domains just a few seconds after it has been deleted. However, if it's a good domain, you have a big chance others will be after it too so you have to be fast. Another thing you can do is keep a lookout for new products/technologies. The second you hear about them (and not a second later!) do a quick whois for them or related domains. Eg. Microsoft released Silverlight. The second I heard about it, I registered Silverlightforum(s).com, Silverlight(-)Tutorials.com and SilverlightFiles.com. I only paid $44.40 for this in total and a few days later, I sold them on for $500. Thats a nice profit for a few minutes of work.

Another way to find nice domains is by looking for dropped domains. You can do this on sites such as justdropped.com. Some domains are more popular then others. You can make cash by registering popular but deleted domains by parking them. Ofcourse, you can always just sell them on again. Best is to first record how many (unique) visitors the domains receive, and mention it before selling.

Quick tip, as of this moment, Pixelmator domains haven't been registered a lot yet, so be quick. However, do this at own risk. I am not at fault if you dont make profit. All depends if Pixelmator gets big or not!

Some examples of what is currently free:

PixelmatorHelp.com
PixelmatorTutorial.com
Pixelmator-Tutorial(s).com
PixelmatorFiles.com

Good luck!