View Single Post
12-23-2011, 07:22 AM
Artashes is offline Artashes
Expertise: Media, business development
Software: Excel, Pen&Paper, Slack, Figma

Artashes is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by JRayers View Post
As a contest holder you end up with 99 crappy logos to review, 96 of which you have to physically restrain yourself from telling the designer to get lost and find another job.

I couldn't help it and chuckled on this one. Unfortunately, a lot of the times it is true. As a contest holder you do have to go through some very primitive WordArt-like designs. However, I can either brush it off or I can offer constructive feedback and explain how the concept can be improved. I hate to discourage people who are trying to help me and who give their time, even if it's 10 minutes. I can find the same amount of time and give back, help them learn. It makes their day better and for many it is the only way they can improve as designers, which is why virtually all are thankful for feedback.

At the end of the day, it really is not hurting anyone. Contest holders do not have to guarantee payment. Designers participate at their own risk. If a client likes something and is ready to pay for a logo that matches his objectives then so much the better - the marketplace has produced a successful marriage.

Think of 99designs as a learning institution. I actually know high-end designers who went through 99designs and occasionally participate to this day.

James, I am ready to have a chat with you on your ideas on how we can attract such a pool of creative individuals to TF. I am the biggest cheerleader of the idea and if a tangible program exists, I will back it up. Let me know if you'd like to discuss this further either privately or publicly.

Cheers.