Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 2012 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     General Discussion :

World War III

Thread title: World War III
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
07-12-2006, 03:07 AM
Garyrae is offline Garyrae
Expertise:
Software:

Garyrae is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Garyrae Send a message via Skype™ to Garyrae

Old  World War III

I saw this article on Shoutwire, found it raaather interesting:

"“Those that ignore history are doomed to repeat it.”

Something bad is happening in Asia. North Korea is trying to provoke Japan, South Korea, America, and pretty much everyone else in the world with missile tests and fightin’ words. Japan is mulling a pre-emptive strike. Taiwan is now planning a ballistic missile test, and according to Chungshan Institute of Science and Technology, it has a range of 600 miles and accurate to half a meter. India tested a long range, nuclear-capable missile the other day. And today, there was a series of train bombings in Mumbai, India, killing nearly 150 at last count.

America has pledged it’s support for Taiwan, if fighting breaks out with China. We clearly would defend Japan and South Korea if they were attacked. India and Pakistan are both allies, but if it came down to choosing one or the other, we would likely side with India. North Korea is a dangerous enemy, and seems to be itching for a fight. We have economic interests with China, and vice versa, but who knows what either of us would do in a time of extreme tension and hostility.

Prior to World War I, there were arms races, alliances, and war that was certainly going to happen. However, it was supposed to just be a relatively minor war between Austria-Hungary and Serbia. But The Allies and Central Powers pledged their support to their respective sides, and a localized war ended up encompassing the entire globe, or at least the resources of it. Did it need to be this way? The Treaty of Versailles claimed it was all Germany’s fault. I fault ego and arrogance on all sides.

So here we are, a century after the arms buildup to WWI, and what do we see? An arms buildup in Asia, and everyone already declaring their support. Only this time, it’s involving many more countries, many more people, and weapons many times more destructive. We also see wars that are almost certain to happen. Taiwan and China. India and Pakistan. North Korea and South Korea and Japan. None of us are naïve to think any one of these conflicts would just involve those parties. America, Europe and others have declared their support, so if fighting were to break out, it’s certain WWIII would ensue. And if any one of these conflicts started, it wouldn’t take much for these other fights to begin.

It seems like a pretty bleak outlook. People have been saying there would be a war between America and China which would decide who the next superpower would be. What we’re witnessing now could be the beginning of such conflict.

Should we be doomed to have massive wars every 100 years, though? Can’t we use our heads and prevent it? Is Taiwan worth causing a war? Is Kashmir? Are nuclear weapons and far-reaching missiles worth it? Is ego worth it?

North Korea should spend its money on feeding the millions of starving citizens. India should continue to nurture its growing technology industry. Pakistan should work at democratization, and become a model not only for the Muslim world, but the entire world. China should realize it’s can’t continue on its path of oppression and restriction, and work on a positive and cooperative relationship with America. Who says we have to fight to be superpowers? Both our countries, and the world, would benefit from our working together. Friendly competition reaps better results than a hostile rivalry.

I’m not some peacenik crying out ‘Why can’t we all just get along?’ I’m saying that it is in nobody’s interest to start this war."

07-12-2006, 03:21 AM
Impluo is offline Impluo
Expertise: programming
Software: Notepad

Impluo is on a distinguished road

Old

India tested a long range, nuclear-capable missile the other day.
Umm weren't they actually trying to launch the heaviest satellite ever from it's on soil into space? It was a 2.2 tons satellite and a failure.

Should we be doomed to have massive wars every 100 years, though?
I like this quote by Albert Einstein, "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

I wouldn't mind taking a step back to sticks and stones, if I live through WW III

07-12-2006, 05:18 AM
teccrom is offline teccrom
Expertise:
Software:

teccrom is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Impluo
Umm weren't they actually trying to launch the heaviest satellite ever into space? It was a 2 ton satellite and a failure.
http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ne...nG=Search+News Notice the words 'missile' and 'nuclear' on a lot of the news.

Originally Posted by Impluo
I like this quote by Albert Einstein, "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
Totally agree on this one.

07-12-2006, 06:07 AM
Impluo is offline Impluo
Expertise: programming
Software: Notepad

Impluo is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by teccrom
http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ne...nG=Search+News Notice the words 'missile' and 'nuclear' on a lot of the news.

Totally agree on this one.
Opps didn't read the full article on the one I read

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...-23109,00.html

At the bottom I see where it says the failed missile launch

07-12-2006, 06:13 AM
ambience is offline ambience
Expertise:
Software:

ambience is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to ambience Send a message via MSN to ambience

Old

some pple really do worry to much...

07-12-2006, 06:30 AM
Bryan vD is offline Bryan vD
Software:

Bryan vD is on a distinguished road

Old

I love that Albert Einstien quote!

07-12-2006, 10:07 AM
Imagenesis is offline Imagenesis
Software:

Imagenesis is on a distinguished road

Old

DELETE

07-12-2006, 08:17 PM
blaineevans is offline blaineevans
Software:

blaineevans is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to blaineevans

Old

Originally Posted by ambience
some pple really do worry to much...
You live in Australia, of course your not worried. You guys havn't been seriously involved in a war since when? lol. No offense, Im just saying.

America unfortunetly is a very large target because we have this nack of getting ourselves into messes we shouldn't be involved in. Whether we help one side of a civil outbreak or another, at some point someone's going to disagree with us.

07-12-2006, 08:21 PM
Cory is offline Cory
Expertise: Fedex Marketing Director.
Software: Firefox.

Cory is on a distinguished road

Old

IMO we havent ended the war that is going on now so i dont think there will be a world war 3.

they think that we are not ready because most of the military is over in iraq well they have another thing coming

07-12-2006, 09:12 PM
Benjamin is offline Benjamin
Expertise:
Software:

Benjamin is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Benjamin Send a message via MSN to Benjamin

Old

Originally Posted by blaineevans
You live in Australia, of course your not worried. You guys havn't been seriously involved in a war since when? lol. No offense, Im just saying.

America unfortunetly is a very large target because we have this nack of getting ourselves into messes we shouldn't be involved in. Whether we help one side of a civil outbreak or another, at some point someone's going to disagree with us.
Australia has been involved in war for a couple of years - they are helping the United States in Iraq...

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >