Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1130 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Advertising, SEO and Social Marketing :

Alexa?

Thread title: Alexa?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
12-05-2010, 04:21 AM
noboss is offline noboss
Software:

noboss is on a distinguished road

Old  Alexa?

Everybody's talking about optimizing websites for search engines, be it Google, Yahoo, Bing, or other smaller search engines. What about Alexa? Is there such thing as optimizing your website for Alexa? Is traffic the only thing that counts?

12-05-2010, 07:47 AM
weblover50 is offline weblover50
Software:

weblover50 is on a distinguished road

Old

Yes, basically. Alexa measures a site's rank based on the amount of traffic it gets.
BUT Alexa is crap. They are very inaccurate and you shouldn't take the results given too seriously.
It just gives you an idea of the amount of traffic websites are getting.

12-07-2010, 12:06 PM
noboss is offline noboss
Software:

Old

I also hear about the poor accuracy of Alexa. How do they gather and process data to determine a website's traffic rank? I hear that they use Alexa toolbar but I am not sure how it works.

12-09-2010, 11:38 AM
mohitindia is offline mohitindia
Software:

mohitindia is on a distinguished road

Old

Alexa is one of the the organization where you can find website ranking. You can also optimize for your alexa ranking as well. There are alexa widget as well to work on to get the best outcome for improving the alexa ranking as well..

12-09-2010, 02:33 PM
lstmin is offline lstmin
Software:

lstmin is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by noboss View Post
I also hear about the poor accuracy of Alexa. How do they gather and process data to determine a website's traffic rank? I hear that they use Alexa toolbar but I am not sure how it works.
Any time a visitor arrives to your site trough Alexa's toolbar (installed on their browser), Alexa is counting the visit as traffic. I don't know how does it exactly work, but one thing is sure: the more visitors you get, the lower your Alexa rank will be. That is the goal.
But it is very inaccurate and can easily be cheated creating fake visits, fake clicks (you visit your site, or ask a bunch of friends to do so, over and over again and your rank will improve).
Kind of misleading, and well, useless...

12-09-2010, 02:56 PM
HereForDiscussion is offline HereForDiscussion
Expertise:
Software:

HereForDiscussion is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by lstmin View Post
Any time a visitor arrives to your site trough Alexa's toolbar (installed on their browser), Alexa is counting the visit as traffic. I don't know how does it exactly work, but one thing is sure: the more visitors you get, the lower your Alexa rank will be. That is the goal.
But it is very inaccurate and can easily be cheated creating fake visits, fake clicks (you visit your site, or ask a bunch of friends to do so, over and over again and your rank will improve).
Kind of misleading, and well, useless...

Misleading, sure. Problem is that some people take things like the Alexa rank seriously and will use it as a factor to judge your website.

12-09-2010, 08:53 PM
SenseiSteve is offline SenseiSteve
Expertise: Sales & Marketing
Software: Dreamweaver and Photoshop

SenseiSteve is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to SenseiSteve Send a message via Skype™ to SenseiSteve

Old

It's definitely not useless, rather just one tool among many tools, that combined can give you the 'BIG' picture. I'm always checking Alexa stats for sites I visit to see their ClickStream and backlinks. I relate their service to 'Polls" where you don't need to see 100%, rather just a sampling - realizing their margin for error.

12-10-2010, 12:07 AM
noboss is offline noboss
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by HereForDiscussion View Post
.....some people take things like the Alexa rank seriously and will use it as a factor to judge your website.
It's true. When it comes to selling paid reviews on your blog, the higher the Alexa and pagerank of your blog, the more you will get review assignments.

08-01-2011, 01:25 PM
madhusmita is offline madhusmita
Software:

madhusmita is on a distinguished road

Old

Alexa ranking depends on the traffic to your site.So, when you are optimizing your site in any search engine, the traffic to your site also increases.This can help to improve the Alexa ranking of your site.

08-02-2011, 10:29 AM
Tekime is offline Tekime
Expertise: Web Design & Development
Software:

Tekime is on a distinguished road

Old

We optimize for Google, Yahoo, etc. because they are search engines and they deliver traffic when you rank well.

Alexa does not deliver traffic, they are not a search engine, so we do not care about optimizing for Alexa.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >