Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1692 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

Corporate Death Burger

Thread title: Corporate Death Burger
08-16-2011, 09:22 PM
lessrad is offline lessrad
Expertise: Web Design/Front-Code
Software:

lessrad is on a distinguished road

Old  Corporate Death Burger

So - I've been freelancing for a few years, it's been OK - Fun at times, and at times making me crazy, I love the perks of it - but have relocated to a new city and am getting tired of the financial instability and stress that it brings. I'm not a 'large scale freelancer' nor have ever been - ie; never made a ton, and have a resume that would probably label me a 'Jr. Mid Web Designer' if that makes since. (Eventually want to pop back in the game a few years from now - when I have more capital to buy the necessities and then hopefully shoot more large scale and go legit with my business)

So, I've been going to interviews -one of which, was a big corporation, the nicest actually, it wasn't a huge traditional corporation, a lot more open atmosphere, (ie; not forced to wear a tie, and all that) but still a little scary -
The pays good, and everything else on that end.

Anyone else make the 'Freelance > Corporate' transition recently, and can escape from the cubicle long enough to talk about it?

08-16-2011, 10:23 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

I worked for a big corporation for a while and loved it. The transition was a little scary for a few days but looking back it was all unfounded anxiety. After the first week you'll get the hang of it all and it will become normal. While you lose a lot of the draws of being a freelancer it is less lonely, more stable and gives you an actual schedule. As soon as I'm out of college I'll be going back to corporations. If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to answer them.

On a side note, Dilbert becomes a lot funnier after you've worked in a big corporation and have witnessed some of the antics actually happening.

08-17-2011, 09:26 AM
Spherions is offline Spherions
Software: Photoshop & phpDesigner

Spherions is on a distinguished road

Old

What's the average pay in the corporate world for web development?

@ village genius: Your post threw me off. I always thought you were in your mid to late thirties.