Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1061 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     HTML/XHTML/DHTML/CSS :

XHTML 1.1 valid, but sucks in IE?

Thread title: XHTML 1.1 valid, but sucks in IE?
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
05-17-2005, 05:44 PM
Bas is offline Bas
Expertise: Frontend, vBulletin
Software: Coda, Photoshop

Bas is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Bas

Old  XHTML 1.1 valid, but sucks in IE?

I was just coding this new layout for my site and I always code XHTML 1.1 by default, it looks perfect in Firefox but it's very disorted in IE and some parts are even missing!

So what do you think? should I make my layout IE valid with worse code, or should I keep it as it is and just put a note in the footer saying my site is XHTML 1.1 which is only supported by Firefox?

05-17-2005, 05:55 PM
patrickPaul is offline patrickPaul
Expertise:
Software:

patrickPaul is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to patrickPaul Send a message via MSN to patrickPaul Send a message via Yahoo to patrickPaul

Old

Bas,

Your best bet is to make the code valid for IE and Mozilla. Right now XHTML 1.0 is pretty much the coding standard with 1.1 still not fully accpted by all browsers. It's sad but the majority of the world uses IE so you can't have a site that doesn't support them, it'd be very unprofessional IMHO.

Regards,
Patrick

05-17-2005, 10:20 PM
opserty is offline opserty
Expertise:
Software:

opserty is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to opserty

Old

I agree with pP whats the point in wiping out a majority of your customers, its only going to end coming back in lost visitors and revenue.

05-18-2005, 06:07 AM
sysblnk is offline sysblnk
Software:

sysblnk is on a distinguished road

Old

Bas, I don't think its the lack of support for XHTML 1.1 that is screwing it up in IE rather then the code itself. XHTML 1.1 and 1.0 are fairly the same. The problem may lie in your CSS (if it's tableless, which I'm sure it is). Search around for articles that address the problems you are having, you will either find a hack or give you an idea on why it doesnt work. Even if your code is valid it doesnt mean it will work in all browsers. There isn't a single browser that supports complete standardized code so there are always differences in how they appear in different browsers.

Again I strongly believe it has nothing to do with your document being XHTML 1.1 because I myself have created sites that work well in IE.

In fact in light of this post I decided to create http://www.talkstandards.com skin in XHTML 1.1, it looks the same in both IE and Firefox. I have a few errors but they will be fixed soon. This just to show it's not the doctype but your code itself.

If you want I send me a URL and I can try to see if I can find the problem(s).

05-18-2005, 06:15 AM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old

I'm not sure why everyone blames IE for being the cause of their coding issues. IE has been the broweser with the biggest majority of users for years since the internet began, firefox came along and everyone decides if it works in ff then the code MUST be right.

I disagree with this completly, it's about satisfying the users, the people who buy your product or use your services. IE is the general standard for viewing websites, comply to this if anything.

05-18-2005, 06:53 AM
Software:

Old

Robson I agree. I'm starting to dislike firefox actually. The only reason I use it is because its quite faster then IE. Firefox has its own issues and I'm starting to not like it at all. Of course I can't throw it out because as a designer I need to comply with firefox as well as IE and a whole bunch of browsers.

Anyway I agree it's wrong to blame IE for their coding issues. Every browser has its downfalls, including Firefox (css background bug, ugh) and you should learn to comply with all of them.

05-18-2005, 09:55 AM
Bas is offline Bas
Expertise: Frontend, vBulletin
Software: Coda, Photoshop

Bas is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Bas

Old

Yes I know it's not the DTD since I've made many more layouts in XHTML 1.1, which did work in IE, though this layout uses very advanced code and alot of PNG's (which aren't visible at all in IE, normally it always works with the CSS hack I use).

I think I'll just have to create a whole new layout or perhaps make it a diffirent structure.
Or maybe use tables..

05-18-2005, 10:33 AM
Software:

Old

Say it aint so! Hehe I like exploring advanced XHTML/CSS code but my rule is to keep it just that an exploration/experiment maybe for a personal site etc.. If the site is going to be commercial or something of that nature I'd suggest just restructuring your layout to something compatible to IE as it is still the browser most people use.

05-18-2005, 02:29 PM
Koobi is offline Koobi
Software:

Koobi is on a distinguished road

Old

Here's some facts:
Firefox is the most standards compliant browser out there in terms of XHTML and CSS rendering.
So if your site works in Firefox, the code is correct. If your site looks like crap in another browser, then thats most likely a bug in that browser or incorrect use of CSS on your part.

Your problem is probably to do with CSS and not XHTML because IE has some very notorious CSS bugs that drive CSS-writers crazy everyday

To ensure you're using CSS/XHTML properly, it's always best to code for Firefox and then fix your bugs for other browsers with CSS hacks.
If you can't be bothered doing this then you're the safest coding for IE only since majority of users use IE.

But being safe means sacrificing something and in this case, you're sacrificing compliancy for a lot of users and you will probably loose those users. One day a competitor who does code compliant CSS for all browsers will probably steal your visitors. Your choice

05-18-2005, 02:50 PM
Adam is offline Adam
Software:

Adam is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Robson
I'm not sure why everyone blames IE for being the cause of their coding issues. IE has been the broweser with the biggest majority of users for years since the internet began, firefox came along and everyone decides if it works in ff then the code MUST be right.

I disagree with this completly, it's about satisfying the users, the people who buy your product or use your services. IE is the general standard for viewing websites, comply to this if anything.
its because ie is to blame. ie is not 100% standards compliant so what is a standard compliant website will not render the same in ie.

i have been in a situation, built a perfect template for a website in firefox, 100% valid, looked lovley in firefox, took it into ie and it looked like scrambled eggs.

bas, you need to use small hacks, tricks etc with css and xhtml you can still get your deisgn valid xhtml 1.1 but you will need to alter your code a bit so it renders the same in both ie and firefox (or other geckho engine browsers)

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >