Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1307 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Programming     PHP and MySQL :

Vb or IPB?

Thread title: Vb or IPB?
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
06-06-2005, 07:08 PM
Legendary is offline Legendary
Software:

Legendary is on a distinguished road

Old  Vb or IPB?

I've read numerous posts about each board, but I can't make up my mind. Even though with all the read I do, I can't seem to find one thread which target specifically for template. I mean, what are the differences between the two? Which is easier to understand? I need your help. I'm planning to buy a forum, but I can't decide which to buy. I've never used neither of the forum. So the easier it is to set up a template the better.

I know Vb 3.5 has some pretty unique features, but lack of features that I want. IPB is great also....

06-06-2005, 07:16 PM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old

Vb is much easier in terms of skinning the actual board. It has a extensive template system and there are alot more designers available for this software.

With the new upgrade due out this month, Vbulletin will have so many more features, including inline moderation and the ability to plug in mods meaning very easy upgrading for future versions without all the hassle it has caused in the past.

IPB is a great product, don't get me wrong, but vb has a much better development/support team behind them and imo is the better product. I was a user of IPB for a few years and made the switch to Vb last November, I haven't looked back since!

06-06-2005, 07:43 PM
Bennett is offline Bennett
Expertise:
Software:

Bennett is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Bennett

Old

If only it was free... *sigh*

06-06-2005, 07:56 PM
xdoomx is offline xdoomx
Expertise:
Software:

xdoomx is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to xdoomx Send a message via MSN to xdoomx

Old

Originally Posted by Robson
With the new upgrade due out this month, Vbulletin will have so many more features, including inline moderation and the ability to plug in mods meaning very easy upgrading for future versions without all the hassle it has caused in the past.
The inline moderation using AJAX will also be a feature that will be released with the new version of IPB 2.1 which should be released soon. I have worked with both vBulletin and IPB and I would still hesitate if I had to pick one of them. They can both get the job done and both softwares are great and have very nice features. I would probably suggest getting a copy of vB though, price beeing a bit cheaper, but also because, as Robson mentionned, you have more options available when it comes to purchasing or making yourself a custom forum skin.

06-06-2005, 08:04 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

You also have to look at it from the point of commercial reputation, alot of people frown upon IPB whilst forums using vb are looked at under a different light. I guess because of the recent changes in the IPB structure, various pricing/license changes, people find it hard to keep up and generally associate IPB with being a free product.

Not to mention, i've yet to see a IPB skin that doesn't look like it's just come out of the box, their template system is horrible. The load times, features and what not you could compare allday, there would be minor differences but I think looking at it from a image perception, vb gets my vote.

06-06-2005, 08:46 PM
Koobi is offline Koobi
Software:

Koobi is on a distinguished road

Old

Personally I think vb and ipb are becoming a bit too heavy to use...great piece of software but to clunky to run IMO.
It would be nice to see something more modular/plug-in like so that you easily disable/enable certain things. It feels a bit too easy to use :/
And I use the vb3.0.7 admin cpanel and I've used a slightly older version of ipb

Originally Posted by xdoomx
The inline moderation using AJAX will also be a feature that will be released with the new version of IPB 2.1 which should be released soon.
AJAX is sweet
But I think they should use it only where necessary and have alternatives because it's client side so it can be turned off. Been working with some XMLHTTP Request objects myself

06-06-2005, 08:55 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

What exactly is AJAX?

06-06-2005, 09:07 PM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old

06-06-2005, 10:02 PM
dvduval is offline dvduval
Software:

dvduval is on a distinguished road

Old

I think vBulletin has a stronger development team, and they seem to be not only an innovator, but also provide a very solid script.

06-06-2005, 10:04 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Very true, I don't like the way the IPB team focus on other scripts as well. Vbulletin have really focused on one core product and that's why it's the forum software of choice. I can honestly see IPB being sold or changing direction within the next year or so, it's not really a company i'd put much faith in.

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >