Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 2010 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

What is it with all those designers...

Thread title: What is it with all those designers...
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
03-31-2007, 08:56 PM
rsek is offline rsek
Expertise:
Software:

rsek is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to rsek

Old  What is it with all those designers...

... Really, I'm frustrated, frustrated of working with designers who can't design within a deadline.

Some of you already know I hired a designer back in AUgust 2006.. I had to wait 6months for my refund.. I didn't saw any preview in those 6months and barely had contact with the designer...

Since then I was more carefully chosing a designer, few weeks back, I made the move, and hired a designer (don't gonna give names...) to design a 3page forumskin for me. Contact etc went smooth.. asked about price, upfront payment and turnaroundtime.
3weeks ago, I gave him a 50% up front payment. I gave him the design brief, and he said he could show me a preview within 5days. (frontpage)
I said, ok well.. fine!
I waited, and waited, checking my mail every hour.. I didn't received any mail during 2-3days, I thought, 'hey... he said 5days... but let's make sure he didn't forget about it, and drop a mail.' So did I... I dropped an email.. after another day waiting, I received an email.. some info.. like 'I was away during the weekend, you get your preview when I get back'

I mailed back,'ok no problem'...
After that mail, I didn't heard about him for about 3-4days.. I mailed him again a few times.. After those several mails, I got 1 mail back, telling me he had car problems.... I thought again: 'ok no problem'...

Then about a week ago, he gave me his word that he would drop me the preview by email the next day... I said ok.. don't disappoint me.. he said, I won't!

Didn't received ANY mail the day after we spoke..

2 Days ago.. he came on msn, telling me he was very sorry, and he would give me a preview yesterday. I said again! 'ok, don't disappoint me' he said, I'll promise I will give it you tomorrow.
-I went offline-

Then yesterday I waited the whole day for his email !!!
and again.. I didn't got ANY preview.

I'm now waiting for 3weeks for just A PREVIEW...
Because of him, me and my partner are behind shedule with our project. And that really ****es me off.
-------------

Is every designer these days so ****ing lame and slow and giving promises and such ... .
I'm really starting to get mad, no what I say, I'm getting crazy!

Opinions?

03-31-2007, 09:37 PM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old

I know exactly how you feel. But, you do pay for what you get.

Nearly every designer on here is a freelancer and is still in education, therefore they don't have the business skills, time and commitment to deliver what they promise, their minds are just focused on getting the sale, they don't think about their reputation or down the road.

My advice, save up and hire a designer either locally or someone with a decent reputation. All my design work is done through [link removed] who I simply cannot recommend enough, yes, they're more expensive than your average template designer but they deliver on time, communicate daily with updates, are very flexible (for revisions and such) and make you sign a contract which guarantees all of this, not to mention they're the best designers i've ever seen.

Save up, go with them, you won't regret it.

03-31-2007, 09:39 PM
n9com is offline n9com
Expertise:
Software:

n9com is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via AIM to n9com

Old

Originally Posted by rsek View Post
Is every designer these days so ****ing lame and slow and giving promises and such ... .
Sorry to hear about your bad experiences, but like bidjam said, go for a respected company - less chance of hassle.

03-31-2007, 09:59 PM
Feren6 is offline Feren6
Expertise:
Software:

Feren6 is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Feren6

Old

Go with a local designer, that way you won't have problems like this and if there IS a problem, you can just go visit their office.

03-31-2007, 10:00 PM
rsek is offline rsek
Expertise:
Software:

Old

thanks,

BidJam, they are good, but not best and they are bit expensive for me

03-31-2007, 10:06 PM
damien is offline damien
Software:

damien is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to damien

Old

I am in the same boat, but with coders...

03-31-2007, 10:56 PM
Julian is offline Julian
Expertise:
Software:

Julian is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by rsek View Post
resk, not all designers are poor business people. Some have no morals, principles and ethics, and you are more likely to find this kind of unscrupulous operator in a youthful community like this.

Can you let us know the age of the designer? and the amount of money he/she was hired for? Whether a contract was signed?

These three elements can make a big difference in the end result.

I always deliver on time (always before time actually), every time, there is never a broken promise or an excuse for not doing so. So we are not all poor business people, you just need to find the right designer

04-01-2007, 04:39 AM
chaka42 is offline chaka42
Expertise:
Software:

chaka42 is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via AIM to chaka42 Send a message via MSN to chaka42 Send a message via Skype™ to chaka42

Old

Originally Posted by BidJam View Post
Nearly every designer on here is a freelancer and is still in education, therefore they don't have the business skills, time and commitment to deliver what they promise, their minds are just focused on getting the sale, they don't think about their reputation or down the road.
I know I don't fall into that category...and local folks aren't an exception to this phenomenon. But, most of the time, that is the case.

Like Julian said, age, cost, and contract are definitely things to consider.

Although, if it's under a certain amount, I don't bother with a contract. And, ironically, some folks think I charge too much. Then again, I'm no kid either. I try my darndest to keep my clients informed of situations, if there's a delay, I try and let them know. Most of the time, they are patient, and I give them a 10-20% discount when delays are my fault.

I hope you have better luck next time.

04-01-2007, 07:05 AM
Mr.tyro is offline Mr.tyro
Expertise:
Software:

Mr.tyro is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Mr.tyro

Old

Most of designers here are self tought and pretty young here and probably only just studied the design part not the bussines side i.e. customer support and relations , dead lines and so on. Thats why i studied bussines and still do for freelancing as it teaches you how to take care of yourself on the money side of your bussines not just be a half vited designer (not pointing any fingers). About the age part, it really wouldnt bother me how old the person is aslong he is responsible, on task , a good worker and could meet my dead lines.

Anyways bad luck with the designer.

P.S(Read my signiture)

04-01-2007, 08:23 AM
rsek is offline rsek
Expertise:
Software:

Old

well, he is maybe 20.. dunno exactly, his design skills are kickass he was member here, but got banned, dunno for what reason..

his price was ok for me.. not to expensive for a forumstart. I ddidn't want to give out like 800 bucks... (4design)

I thought he was a good guy who can 'keep his promises' (hor how do you say this)

Local designer? I think I'm the only one who is good here in my village, you might be asking why I don't design myself? simple reason cuz I hate my work what I create for my own and I am never happy with what I create for my own.

Kind regards

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >