Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1926 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Advertising, SEO and Social Marketing :

SEO and Javascript

Thread title: SEO and Javascript
Closed Thread    
02-23-2008, 11:47 AM
marSoul is offline marSoul
Expertise:
Software:

marSoul is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to marSoul Send a message via Yahoo to marSoul

Old  SEO and Javascript

Hi

I have created a script that can change text when roll over a link, all i want to know is that will this method seen by search engines or not ?
I mean the texts that will change are in html body, so will it help SEO because instead of using image rollovers i am using text roll overs ?

you can see the example here :
http://www.datisdesign.com
if you roll over the icons on orange area, the texts above it will change

If you look at the page source you will see this part :
Code:
<ul  id="top_services">
<li id="web_design" onMouseOver="changetext('main_content_header','Website Design','main_content_text','Nowadays having a website is like having a powerful tool for introducing your skills, abilities, etc. Doesn&acute;t matter if you are an individual or a huge company. Here we guarantee efficiency together with beauty in designing your web pages, giving a pleasure to your mind while viewing the web site.')" onMouseOut="changetext('main_content_header','Designing For Communicating','main_content_text','Communicating plays an important role in today&acute;s world. In this regard internet has gained a very powerful position. Gradually, more and more web sites have appeared on the net, among which only some are able to present the required and expected functions, hence the ability to communicate properly with the users and efficiency are considered as two prominent aspects of a web site. Our main goal here in Datis Design is to satisfy all your needs and expectations in designing your website while using the latest web standards.')"><a href="#" title="Website Design">Web site Design</a></li>
<li id="multimedia_design" onMouseOver="changetext('main_content_header','Multimedia Design','main_content_text','Preparing multimedia presentations for showing your abilities and skills is another useful way for improving and expanding your business.')" onMouseOut="changetext('main_content_header','Designing For Communicating','main_content_text','Communicating plays an important role in today&acute;s world. In this regard internet has gained a very powerful position. Gradually, more and more web sites have appeared on the net, among which only some are able to present the required and expected functions, hence the ability to communicate properly with the users and efficiency are considered as two prominent aspects of a web site. Our main goal here in Datis Design is to satisfy all your needs and expectations in designing your website while using the latest web standards.')"><a href="#" title="Multimedia Design">Multimedia Design</a></li>
<li id="threed_design" onMouseOver="changetext('main_content_header','3D Design','main_content_text','We can also help you to introduce your services, goods, etc by 3D designing here in Datis Design.')" onMouseOut="changetext('main_content_header','Designing For Communicating','main_content_text','Communicating plays an important role in today&acute;s world. In this regard internet has gained a very powerful position. Gradually, more and more web sites have appeared on the net, among which only some are able to present the required and expected functions, hence the ability to communicate properly with the users and efficiency are considered as two prominent aspects of a web site. Our main goal here in Datis Design is to satisfy all your needs and expectations in designing your website while using the latest web standards.')"><a href="#" title="3D Design">3D Design</a></li>
</ul>
I want to know that search engines can see this change text effect or not ? can they see the texts that are included in <li> tags ?

regards

03-03-2008, 11:12 PM
eXe is offline eXe
Software:

eXe is on a distinguished road

Old

To my understanding, google only has the ability to crawl javascript links and very limited ability to interpret other javascript. You can use a tool like the one at domaintools.com to view your site as a search engine spider would.

03-05-2008, 08:05 AM
cotopaxi360 is offline cotopaxi360
Software:

cotopaxi360 is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to cotopaxi360

Old

When using Javascript links you need to include alternatives, just in case Google and others can't see the links.

03-05-2008, 10:08 PM
ae36 is offline ae36
Software:

ae36 is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to ae36

Old

The general rule of thumb is that JavaScript links are not followed by most search engines. I too have read that Google has limited ability to process JavaScript links, but as a rule of thumb, you should always provide text link methods to navigate your site. Anchor text from within your content from keywords to relevant content is a good way. Don't forget about links in the footer and a sitemap.

03-07-2008, 06:22 PM
hadriel is offline hadriel
Software:

hadriel is on a distinguished road

Old

As I understand you change the text.. As u have done it probably google will discard the onMouseOver attribute...
I would do it that way:
1) put the text in span tags with ids
2) set display: none to all spans exept the first one with javascript at the time the page loads, if they are set in the css, google will see they're hidden and will discard them
3) onmouseover of the link call function that hides them all (the span tags) and the function that displays the choosen on

Just my 2 cents...

03-15-2008, 12:39 PM
golova is offline golova
Software:

golova is on a distinguished road

Old

I doubt that google will care much about onhover. What they care most about is original link that users sees. So your code shouldn't affect anything.

Closed Thread