Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 2220 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Graphic Design, Multimedia and Photography     Web Design Resources :

California and web designers

Thread title: California and web designers
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
09-18-2007, 03:04 PM
devguys.com is offline devguys.com
Expertise:
Software:

devguys.com is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to devguys.com Send a message via MSN to devguys.com Send a message via Yahoo to devguys.com

Old  California and web designers

Hello guys, have a question.

I am planning on moving business locations from Atlanta, GA to Santa Clara, CA. The reason behind this is because, once we get bigger, I would like to attract bigger companies. I see alot of designers and developers with print media, websites, etc working with very large companies (IE Coke, Glad, Pepsi, etc)

I think that the contact list in California would be endless. What are your thoughts on this? Bad move or good move? I know the competition is crazy out there, but on the other hand its like there everywhere. I just think that it would be a bigger opportunity to expand. Yah or nah :P

09-18-2007, 03:11 PM
Anthony is offline Anthony
Expertise:
Software:

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Anthony

Old

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Give it a try, if it doesn't work move back to Atlanta or wherever the wind takes you afterwards

09-18-2007, 04:30 PM
Awesome is offline Awesome
Expertise:
Software:

Awesome is on a distinguished road

Old

If you need to move locations from one gigantic ass city to another, I would guess your business model needs work. I'm in a city of 60k, and somewhere between 1-2 million in design budgets moves through here every year.

09-18-2007, 04:50 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Send a message via AIM to devguys.com Send a message via MSN to devguys.com Send a message via Yahoo to devguys.com

Old

Well its not that the business model needs work. I just think there are more connections out there. I may be wrong on this. I know that Atlanta is a huge city with major potential. We just opened our doors for business in August and already slammed packed with design work from local to overseas. However, I want to do business with major companies aswell.

How can this be obtained? Any info is greatly appreciated.

09-20-2007, 10:49 AM
Sahil is offline Sahil
Expertise:
Software:

Sahil is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via AIM to Sahil Send a message via MSN to Sahil

Old

The only reason I see moving as something good is because of specific companies you may want to work with.

Almost anywhere can you find more work than you can handle. Cali is a very reputable tech place, but I'm sure you can find just as much work where you're currently staying.

09-20-2007, 06:33 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

if you want to deal with nation-wide brands your location doesn't matter, it's all in your connections.

on the one hand, yes you *could* make better connections if you're involved with the downtown la scene, but just being in cali won't make you better for them. i have no idea where santa clara is. why'd you pick that spot?

09-20-2007, 08:15 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Yeah connections is a major player.

Santa Clara is southern San Fran area...Silicon Valley. I picked this spot, because most major PC or related companies are there (Google, Yahoo, Juniper, Cisco, etc) I really want to surround myself with major players like this.

09-20-2007, 11:44 PM
redcell is offline redcell
Software:

redcell is on a distinguished road

Old

No offense but You want to surround yourself in La where most big companies such as the ones you mentioned might be at and not with Pc companies.

Also If your known for your work then you will get work no matter where your at

09-21-2007, 02:49 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

google and yahoo have offices in san fran. i have friends who work at them.

moving there is probably a good idea in the long run, but it's smarter to try and develop some connections before depending on the location. i imagine it's going to cost a lot more to live and operate out there than were you currently are.

IE know some people down there, so if you were to move out there, you could get started right away trying to get them to slip you through some doors instead of burning a small hole in your pocket trying to find those people first.

09-23-2007, 12:34 AM
Julian is offline Julian
Expertise:
Software:

Julian is on a distinguished road

Old

You are all looking at this from the wrong perspective.

devguys, you say you are "slam packed" with work currently, but are looking to relocate? Why relocate if you are fully booked out? What is the big thing with being closer to bigger corporate companies?

Please consider this: remain at your base (Atlanta) and expand into other offices in strategic locations. Don't move your whole operations base simply to get closer to big corporates. You need to have growth and expansion policies in your company, and it should not mean relocating.

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >