Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1973 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     General Discussion :

Literary classics translated to text messages

Thread title: Literary classics translated to text messages

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
11-18-2005, 06:06 AM
Impluo is offline Impluo
Expertise: programming
Software: Notepad

Impluo is on a distinguished road

Old  Literary classics translated to text messages

So I was looking at BBC news and saw this article talking about a professor who was able to compress entire plots into text message abbreviations and believes it offers immense educational opportunities.

such plots include:

Pride and Prejudice
5Sistrs WntngHsbnds. NwMeninTwn-Bingly&Darcy. Fit&Loadd.BigSis Jane Fals 4B,2ndSisLiz H8s D Coz Hes Proud. Slimy Soljr Wikam Sys DHs Shady Past.Trns Out Hes Actuly ARlyNysGuy &RlyFancysLiz. She Decyds She Lyks Him.Evry1 Gts Maryd.

Romeo & Juliet
FeudTween 2hses- Montague&Capulet. RomeoMfalls_<3w/_JulietC@mary Secretly Bt R kils J's Coz &&is banishd. J fakes Death. As Part of Plan2b-w/R Bt_leter Bt It Nvr Reachs Him. Evry1confuzd-bothLuvrs kil Emselves
Am I the only one that sees this as an awful way of trying to read something? Takes me so much longer to try and understand what they are saying than if they gave me a version in plain english.

I could understand almost all of the Romeo and Juliet plotline since I have read it in the past but it took me alot longer to read the Pride and Prejudice plotline since I had never read it before

A university professor claims it "amply demonstrates text's ability to fillet out the important elements in a plot". It may collect all the important elements and destroy everything else but to me it would be horrible to read like that in broken english...

Original article
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...ts/4445088.stm