Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,473
There are 2101 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Programming     PHP and MySQL :

Track Page Views & Create "Top Pages This Week"

Thread title: Track Page Views & Create "Top Pages This Week"
01-18-2010, 11:19 PM
JasonGDX is offline JasonGDX
Expertise: Design, HTML, CSS, PHP, MySQL
Software: Photoshop, Coda

JasonGDX is on a distinguished road

Old  Track Page Views & Create "Top Pages This Week"

What I'm trying to accomplish is essentially a "Most Viewed Games" section for the video game site I'm developing. I want to be able to track game page views and compile a "real-time" chart of the 10 Most Viewed Games based on the number of views within, let's say, 7 days from the current date.

What would be the best way to store this information in a database?

I'd like to also be able to "go back in time" so to speak and be able to view previous views based on date ranges and other criteria.

Just not sure how I would structure this in the database or what is the best way to be able to do this.

01-23-2010, 02:09 AM
mikeroq is offline mikeroq
Expertise: xHTML/CSS/PHP/Computer Tech
Software: Photoshop, Notepad++, Winamp

mikeroq is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via AIM to mikeroq Send a message via MSN to mikeroq Send a message via Yahoo to mikeroq

Old

I'm sure there is a better way to do this, but this is how I could do it. Each time someone views a game, a row gets inserted into a 'stats' table, recording game viewed, time, ip, etc. Then to display this simply select from the table all the rows that fit the game and the date range. Your 7 days back would always go back 7 days, and you could create a page where you could view select dates or date ranges.

02-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Cyrus709 is offline Cyrus709
Expertise:
Software:

Cyrus709 is on a distinguished road

Old

This is how i would do it, I would have a table that has columns IP, Views, Date, with the IP column unique (pretty much what mike said)

The php code would not count any views with the same IP, so that your views are not of people coming back to the same page, increasing the accuracy of the site. I would also make the Date column insertion not display the actual date but a number that represents a date, a row would say "1" representing day one, this way you could use mysql_num_rows to check a number less then X and greater then Y. This would be much simpler then using actual dates where you might have to convert them into seconds and then use them.