Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 2199 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Web Hosting and Domain Names :

Boo @ BlueHost

Thread title: Boo @ BlueHost
Closed Thread    
08-02-2008, 04:18 AM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old  Boo @ BlueHost

Bluehost has become one of the many unlimited hosts out there. There goes anything good I thought of them before.
http://www.bluehost.com/

08-02-2008, 04:31 AM
Enfernikus is offline Enfernikus
Software:

Enfernikus is on a distinguished road

Old

Well I'd distrust any company that uses the word "cheap" as a description of their hosting services, I admit it's more down to earth one could say but still it lacks class. Anyways, they can enjoy their new mass of cheap sites and failure start ups.

08-02-2008, 04:53 AM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

Dont get me wrong, I have a dislike for all cheap hosts (I'm not a fan of shared in general). But unlimited is even lower than bloated claims.

08-02-2008, 05:18 AM
Enfernikus is offline Enfernikus
Software:

Enfernikus is on a distinguished road

Old

I think the shared concept works because most people just want to run a blog or some sort of little forum and unless your blog/forum is getting 2k uniques a day shared hosting is the way to go. True, unlimited is lower then the bloated claims of company like dreamhost and lunarpages and what not.

08-03-2008, 01:08 AM
Lucas is offline Lucas
Software:

Lucas is on a distinguished road

Old

Just like hostgator, as long as they have good system admins 24/7 like hostgator does (I've worked in their office), you should be fine. You will for sure experience hiccups from tiem to time as it is impossible to look over those 1,000 servers as soon as issues start happening, so you will always experience hiccups here and there.

That's why sometimes small business are more satisfactory for some people as there is not much to suffer consequences like big hosts.

08-05-2008, 08:17 AM
Glance is offline Glance
Software:

Glance is on a distinguished road

Old

That's why sometimes small business are more satisfactory for some people as there is not much to suffer consequences like big hosts.
That is absolutely truth. I would persionally go for the small company like ******.com then big like hostgator.com, because I'm sure that ******.com will love me as each of their customers, hostgator will add me to the statistic and that is all.

08-05-2008, 10:54 PM
JulesR is offline JulesR
Software:

JulesR is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
Just like hostgator, as long as they have good system admins 24/7 like hostgator does (I've worked in their office), you should be fine. You will for sure experience hiccups from tiem to time as it is impossible to look over those 1,000 servers as soon as issues start happening, so you will always experience hiccups here and there.
<Lumbergh>
Yeah I'm.... gonna have to go and disagree with you there.
</Lumbergh>

I've never agreed with the whole "the bigger a host becomes, the more problems they'll experience, and you just have to accept that as a result of expansion" mentality. That attitude is the result of years of negligent hosting company business practice, in my opinion, and I'm always astounded to hear/read people justifying this bad behaviour on the hosts behalf.

It doesn't matter if Hostgator or any other large hosting company have 10 or 10,000 servers, if they failed to compensate for their rate of expansion by failing to implement adequate server monitoring systems, and overselling their packages, that's something they need to address. It's not an impossible task, just clearly one they're not interested in investing the time or money into. Clients shouldn't have to simply accept poor quality as a result of going with a larger and perhaps less-intimate host. This is a stigma that really needs to be broken.

08-06-2008, 01:56 AM
amdwarrior is offline amdwarrior
Software:

amdwarrior is on a distinguished road

Old

add dreamhost to the unlimited claim as well, horrible experience with them, i pay 3x more what i paid with them but so much happier..

08-07-2008, 04:50 PM
Lucas is offline Lucas
Software:

Lucas is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by JulesR View Post
<Lumbergh>
Yeah I'm.... gonna have to go and disagree with you there.
</Lumbergh>

I've never agreed with the whole "the bigger a host becomes, the more problems they'll experience, and you just have to accept that as a result of expansion" mentality. That attitude is the result of years of negligent hosting company business practice, in my opinion, and I'm always astounded to hear/read people justifying this bad behaviour on the hosts behalf.

It doesn't matter if Hostgator or any other large hosting company have 10 or 10,000 servers, if they failed to compensate for their rate of expansion by failing to implement adequate server monitoring systems, and overselling their packages, that's something they need to address. It's not an impossible task, just clearly one they're not interested in investing the time or money into. Clients shouldn't have to simply accept poor quality as a result of going with a larger and perhaps less-intimate host. This is a stigma that really needs to be broken.
While you can decrease the severity of these hiccups, there will always still be there, the quality is in how fast and how good you can decrease/remove the problem. It's simply impossible to maintain a perfect service with no problems at all at anything. It's just not reality. I have not heard of one company that is problem free. I am not sure if you understand my point of view.

I do not say that they have the right to have so many problems just because they are big, I know they could improve their service and reduce their problems a lot, as I have worked there for a while, but you will still have hiccups here and there, no matter what. Anything mechanic will always give you hiccups.

08-07-2008, 05:40 PM
JulesR is offline JulesR
Software:

JulesR is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
While you can decrease the severity of these hiccups, there will always still be there, the quality is in how fast and how good you can decrease/remove the problem. It's simply impossible to maintain a perfect service with no problems at all at anything. It's just not reality. I have not heard of one company that is problem free. I am not sure if you understand my point of view.
I understand your point of view, but now you're talking about something else entirely. Originally we were discussing the impact of growth and expansion on hosting services, vs the subsequent quality of service. Now you're taking this globally and applying it to pretty much everything else. Let's back up a little?

Maintaining a 100% problem free hosting service is not impossible, it's just not "cost effective" for most companies. It's not cost effective because they simply don't charge enough for their product to begin with, because they're oversellers. What then occurs is people are sold sub-standard hosting and they chalk down any issues they experience to the fact that it's "shared hosting" and "accidents happen". Accidents do happen, indeed, but not as often as people are willing to accept. Let's face it, how many times have we seen hosts claim "daily offsite backups" but yet one simple HDD failure and suddenly these offsite backups aren't accessible? I see this kind of activity almost weekly.

Many hosts cut corners in order to maximise their profits, and this is what I'm getting at. Overselling, inadequate backup implementations, you name it - it's all what people have come to expect from the hosting industry now.

I do not say that they have the right to have so many problems just because they are big, I know they could improve their service and reduce their problems a lot, as I have worked there for a while, but you will still have hiccups here and there, no matter what. Anything mechanic will always give you hiccups.
Sure, hiccups happen, but that's no excuse for negligence.

Closed Thread