Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1384 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     General Discussion :

Being a freelancer

Thread title: Being a freelancer
Closed Thread    
10-19-2006, 05:55 PM
Awesome is offline Awesome
Expertise:
Software:

Awesome is on a distinguished road

Old  Being a freelancer

The purpose of this thread is to raise a general discussion about being a freelancer.

What are some of the challenges that you've faced? How did you over come them?

Are you a freelancer out of necessity or choice? Are you currently, or do you plan to, make a career out of freelance work?

What are the advantages for you of being a freelancer vs a 9-5'er doing the same kind of work?

These are just some general questions, feel free to answer some of them or venture your own thoughts entirely

10-19-2006, 05:58 PM
AntiChav is offline AntiChav
Software:

AntiChav is on a distinguished road

Old

1st Post WOOT! Im not a freelancer in the sense i dont charge its a hobby more than anything.

10-19-2006, 06:02 PM
Garyrae is offline Garyrae
Expertise:
Software:

Garyrae is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Garyrae Send a message via Skype™ to Garyrae

Old

The main challenge I faced is becoming confident enough in my ablities to take on clients. It took months and months of practice, and taking on lots free work, but it's paying off now.

I'm do freelance work out of choice, mainly because coding is something I'm passionate about -- So I may as well capitalise on it.

Main advantage of doing freelance work, is that I can take on work when I choose. Which allows me to do usual "teenage stuff", and still make money -- Whereas my friends work in retail stores, the hours they work often disrupt plans.

I intend on doing this as a temporary thing, but one of my goals in life is to develop websites almost full-time, and make a comfortable living off them.

I owe it all to TalkFreelance though. Before I came to this forum, I knew next to nothing about web development. It has actually changed my life -- For the better and for the worse in some cases.

10-19-2006, 06:07 PM
Tom is offline Tom
Expertise:
Software:

Tom is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Tom

Old

Originally Posted by Indy
I owe it all to TalkFreelance though. Before I came to this forum, I knew next to nothing about web development. It has actually changed my life -- For the better and for the worse in some cases.
Agreed, Indy.
I also freelance out of choice and am passionate about my coding, i also agree with indy. The only area i struggle in is actually getting the clients.

10-19-2006, 07:15 PM
nathomusic is offline nathomusic
Expertise:
Software:

nathomusic is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to nathomusic

Old

I have never freelanced as a web designer, it's just a hobby of mine and something I do for friends, family and personal use.

I do want to become a professional freelancer, however nothing web related. I want to become a freelance musician

10-19-2006, 08:08 PM
itaca is offline itaca
Expertise:
Software:

itaca is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to itaca Send a message via MSN to itaca

Old

as Indy said one of the challenges was to become confident enough to take on more than one client at the time. And finding out what I can and can not do(ex. I can't do php coding nor do I intend to). A challenge for me was also going out and meeting clients, understanding their needs and giving them just that(I only work locally). I freelance by choice and on the side.

Some of the advantages of freelancing is being your own boss, but in my oppinion not everybody can handle that. And another drawback for some might be keeping things organized

I would love to become a freelance graphic designer some time in the future instead of being a 9-5 designer.

10-19-2006, 09:50 PM
Bennett is offline Bennett
Expertise:
Software:

Bennett is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Bennett

Old

The main challange for me is to be paid what I'm worth.

I usually end up giving much more than any one client deserves or had paid for, and never really seem to get the return work or respect that you'd think you'd get.

As for advantage of not being 9-5, that's easy. I love making my own hours, or going on leave whenever I have a nice store of money.

10-20-2006, 07:36 AM
Edder is offline Edder
Expertise:
Software:

Edder is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Bennett
The main challange for me is to be paid what I'm worth.
I definitely agree ... I often have to remind myself not to be so humble. After all, business is a business.

Right now, I'm a part time freelancer aside from being a student. I've focused on a niche, vBulletin, and most of the projects I do involve skinning, porting, etc. The clients I get are usually from referrals or through my vBulletin skin business, VBMode, however, I find that my bigger clients tend to find me directly.

I consider communication and quality the two most important things if you want to succeed as a freelancer. Good communication will lead to trust, which will better your relationship with the client presently and in the future. Quality work will help get you hired.

Closed Thread