Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 550 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     HTML/XHTML/DHTML/CSS :

How to remove Footer Links?

Thread title: How to remove Footer Links?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
03-07-2011, 04:17 PM
Svenbrian is offline Svenbrian
Expertise:
Software:

Svenbrian is on a distinguished road

Old  How to remove Footer Links?

How do remove the these links on the bottom of my site and replace them with my own links, such as Privacy Policy, About, Terms, etc.

Powered by WordPress | Designed by: Drug Rehab | Find Top CD Rates, High Deductible Health Insurance and Press Release

Since I'm using a template, the guy says if I remove the links my site might not work. So, what do I do? Is there an easy way to copy this template and create it my own? Or can I get around this problem?

P.S. My site's template is in php and I have only limited knowledge of html.

03-07-2011, 07:12 PM
Eightloop is offline Eightloop
Software: Notepad++, Photoshop

Eightloop is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Hello,

you'll have to edit your footer.php file in your template folder. Search for the sentence you'd like to remove. There should be no problem unless there is some sort of a mechanism that prevents this.

Make sure that the license allows you to edit the copyright information.

Thanked by:
Svenbrian (03-08-2011)
03-07-2011, 07:48 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

where do I find the license? I went to the footer.php file in my theme and found this:

// This theme is released free for use under creative commons licence. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/
// All links in the footer should remain intact.
// These links are all family friendly and will not hurt your site in any way.
// Warning! Your site may stop working if these links are edited or deleted ?>

What should I do?

03-07-2011, 08:08 PM

Old

The license says that you shouldn't remove the links. I would respect that, but that's a decision you'll have to make yourself. In my opinion it is a fair trade considering that you got this template for free.

I'm pretty sure that the owner will allow you to remove the links if you make a small donation of a few bucks.

The warning isn't really clear. The Author probably meant that if you make a mistake while editing, then your site will stop working.

Thanked by:
Svenbrian (03-08-2011)
03-07-2011, 08:09 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by Eightloop View Post
The license says that you shouldn't remove the links. I would respect that, but that's a decision you'll have to make yourself. In my opinion it is a fair trade considering that you got this template for free.

I'm pretty sure that the owner will allow you to remove the links if you make a small donation of a few bucks.

The warning isn't really clear. The Author probably meant that if you make a mistake while editing, then your site will stop working.
The real problem is that I contacted the author several weeks ago and still have no reply yet.

03-07-2011, 08:23 PM

Old

As I said, this is a decision you'll have to make yourself.

You probably won't get caught or anything. The worst case scenario is that you'll get an angry e-mail in which case you just restore the links. If it eases your mind, make a small donation.

And if you're willing to invest some time, then you could also use another template without links in the bottom. themeforest.com has many quality templates for a small price.

Thanked by:
Svenbrian (03-08-2011)
03-07-2011, 08:54 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

I just tried changing the links in the footer.php file and my site stopped working and this message showed up:

All the links in the footer should remain intact. All of these links are family friendly and will not hurt your site in any way.

03-07-2011, 08:57 PM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old

The creative commons license (CC BY 3.0) for the template allows derivative works, i.e. you are allowed to modify it, and even to distribute the modified template under the same license.

The comment following the license declaration says that the links should remain intact, not must.

The template author may have coded the template in such a way that removing the code that displays the links may have other side-effects on the functionality of the template... this is something an experienced (PHP / Wordpress) person could fix up for you very easily.

Don't worry about making the changes, nor getting angry emails from the author. Under the license that the code was distributed with, you're absolutely allowed to make changes to the original work.

P.S. Just for the sake of formality, I am not a lawyer. Use your noggin and read the CC license yourself.

03-07-2011, 09:17 PM

Old

Salathe, correct me if I'm wrong, but modifying the template is only allowed if the attribution remains intact. Unfortunately, the links he's trying to remove are "designed by"-links (especially the last one) and this would be against the conditions of this CC license.

Otherwise, I absolutely agree that the chances are very small that he'll get angry mail. As I said, this is the worst case scenario.

As Salathe said, an experienced person should be able to remove the links for you.

03-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by Eightloop View Post
Salathe, correct me if I'm wrong, but modifying the template is only allowed if the attribution remains intact. Unfortunately, the links he's trying to remove are "designed by"-links (especially the last one) and this would be against the conditions of this CC license.

Otherwise, I absolutely agree that the chances are very small that he'll get angry mail. As I said, this is the worst case scenario.

As Salathe said, an experienced person should be able to remove the links for you.
Do any of you guys know of anyone?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >