Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1639 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Graphic Design, Multimedia and Photography :

Need help with a couple of photoshop kinks

Thread title: Need help with a couple of photoshop kinks
05-01-2010, 01:21 AM
pellerman is offline pellerman
Expertise: 3-D Design
Software: Photoshop, 3D Max

pellerman is on a distinguished road

Old  Need help with a couple of photoshop kinks

There are a couple of things I'm really having trouble with and did a little googling and it seems a lot of new photoshop users are having the same problem.

1. Creating selections with perfectly smooth edges - I've tried every selection tool, though the magnetic pen seems to work the best, it's still not quite perfect enough. The gaussian blur/layer mask doesn't give the desired effect and neither does the edge refinement tool. Any ideas?

2. Placing photos and layer fill into existing layers - Isn't there some easy way to do this? Photoshop is programmed to automatically create a new layer so you can't fill in a shape.

Thanks

05-05-2010, 05:29 AM
tileboy is offline tileboy
Expertise: graphic design
Software: photoshop

tileboy is on a distinguished road

Old

These are some good questions. As for the first, I end up having to go around the edges using the blur, erase, and smudge tools quite a bit. This can be a bit tedious, but perhaps the next generation of Photoshop will improve in this area.

05-12-2010, 01:08 AM
pellerman is offline pellerman
Expertise: 3-D Design
Software: Photoshop, 3D Max

pellerman is on a distinguished road

Old

Thanks for this tip. I figured out another way as well to solve this problem by using the pen selection tool creating a selection around the jagged edges and then cutting the selection. This seems to work better for straight edges and won't work with all designs. I think that using both of these techniques, each with different types of designs, will solve this dilemma.

06-23-2010, 04:41 PM
artist369 is offline artist369
Expertise: Design & Coding
Software: Photoshop & Notepadd++

artist369 is on a distinguished road

Old

Actually, it sounds to me like you don't have your settings right. First of all, make sure that anti-alias is selected. Then, you'll want to increase the tolerance level (standard is 32, but the higher you go, the more you'll select at any one time). IMO, you shouldn't have to blur or erase edges (I never have to). Also, once you have your selection, you can go to select->Modify-> feather to soften things.

Sometimes, it's all about contrast. Need to pick out colors that are too close together? Make a new layer, play with the levels for a much bolder contrast, and then make your selection on that layer. Now turn the layer off and return to the previous layer to do what you want it to do.

The easiest thing to do is sometimes to select the background instead of the actual subject matter (which may be way more complex), then select the inverse. Also, to select everything on a layer quickly just press control and then click the thumb nail of the layer your shape is on. It automatically selects a perfect shape for you. (This doesn't help if you are trying to separate an image from the background.)

For your second question, there is an easy way to do this as well. Just post the image on the new layer, and merge the layers together! If you are trying to fill a shape with an image, you could always just apply a quick mask. Select the two layers (with the filler layer on top), then press alt at the area between them. The top layer will not go outside anything on the lower layer. If you want them together, just merge them. Photoshop automatically puts things on new layers to keep your image more editable.