Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1359 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     News and Announcements :

Stepping down (again, finally?)

Thread title: Stepping down (again, finally?)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
06-08-2011, 06:21 PM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old  Stepping down (again, finally?)

Hi guys,

This is just a note to let you all know that I have come to the decision to no longer spend any involvement in the daily running (what little happens) of the forums. Maintaining the status-quo (i.e. just doing day-to-day moderation) is not something I planned to do when coming back, nor do I want to be part of a team apparently happy to do only that: to maintain an even keel. I will also be cutting back on involvement in discussions (what little happens).

The main reasons are twofold.
  1. I no longer enjoy being here
  2. I have no reason to believe that will change

To say a little on each point (skip over here if don't have time to read), here goes.

I no longer enjoy being here because, I feel, the sense of community is so weak. It feels like people are just hanging around for hanging around's sake. That is not what I want this place to be. For the designers, there is nothing to talk about. For the coders, ditto. For the "SEO" experts, writers, website flippers, blah, blah there is just no discussion any more. No sense of dissemination of knowledge, no sense of figure things out between us. No insights from industry professionals, or helping hands for those getting started. Heck, even the banter (usually the background noise of any forum) is almost entirely missing. It is not a pleasure to sign in and trawl through the new posts, what I find is most of the time disappointing. Even when there is something to talk about, the current practice is to give your two cents (or far less!) and wander away somewhere else.

Next, and this upsets me more than anything, I have no reason to believe anything will change. Artashes, I know that you are going to take this personally and I mean the following as only my observation and interpretation. When you prove me wrong, I will gladly eat my words. In the mean time, we have been under new ownership, with a great staff team, for well over a year. We have had a huge list of improvements in the pipeline since even before then. Precious little of any of that has come to through to fruition, and even the things that are being "actively" worked on show little sign of progress. I must take responsibility for the lack of progress, as I hope you all will too. With the current team of guys we have, and I am beyond grateful for everything that everyone has been putting in, I just don't see the site becoming even a shadow of Artashes', and our, grand plan. The more worrying point, and the tipping point for this whole message, is that I don't see that ever changing. The catalyst for change just is not present. I wish it were.

So what happens now? Well, I expect Artashes to pick his jaw up off of the floor (I haven't spoken about this with him prior to writing this post) and then I have no idea. We'll see, I suppose.

Regards,
Peter