Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1369 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     HTML/XHTML/DHTML/CSS :

Cross Browser Woes

Thread title: Cross Browser Woes
Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
03-05-2005, 01:44 PM
Lord Kalthorn is offline Lord Kalthorn
Expertise:
Software:

Lord Kalthorn is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn

Old

If you really want to do cross browser pages if you think Firefox is worth it put in a Simple 'Maste:ie="whatever.master"' then Master:whatever with a different page.

If you're using ASPX Its probably a whole lot harder on PHP.

03-07-2005, 11:42 PM
sunspark is offline sunspark
Software:

sunspark is on a distinguished road

Old

Code:
#columnleft {
padding-top: 150px;
}
Is the part giving you trouble. To make IE render it the same, you need to reduce this number to down around 40px.

Here's a tip: use conditional comments (search in Google) to serve an additional stylesheet to IE. Then you can put inside it any/all rules to over-ride where IE has funny rendering differences.

An example
<!--[if IE]>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" href="/clean/ie.css" />
<![endif]-->

You could also put it inline if you wanted
<!--[if IE]>
<style type="text/css" media="screen" href="/clean/ie.css" />
#columnleft {
padding-top: 40px;
}
</style>
<![endif]-->

A side-track

Originally Posted by Lord Kalthorn
In the end - Firefox and Opera render the padding differently. Internet Explorer renders the padding as it has since time in memorial, and as it should be rendered. Many things in Firefox are wrong; mainly padding problems.
Incorrect, I'm afraid.

Internet Explorer uses a different box model than all other browsers. And they chose to do it differently as a result of not agreeing with the then (and now) current standard.

However, Internet Explorer 6 will use the one the other browsers use, if you trigger standards mode by supplying a correct doctype.

It depends on your perspective and the application for which one makes the most sense. The box model used by other browsers is the one that follows the spec. However, the w3c have also added to the CSS3 draft, the ability to switch box model modes to whichever you like.

Here's one url where you can compare the box models
http://www.communitymx.com/content/a...989953B6F20B41

MS also discusses it here
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...hancements.asp

03-07-2005, 11:48 PM
mike.fro is offline mike.fro
Expertise: Design
Software:

mike.fro is on a distinguished road

Old

I know someone who is great with figuring out these types of problems. Once he gets online i'll forward him to this thread and hopefully he can be of some assistance.

03-07-2005, 11:51 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by sunspark
Incorrect, I'm afraid.

Internet Explorer uses a different box model than all other browsers. And they chose to do it differently as a result of not agreeing with the then (and now) current standard.

However, Internet Explorer 6 will use the one the other browsers use, if you trigger standards mode by supplying a correct doctype.

It depends on your perspective and the application for which one makes the most sense. The box model used by other browsers is the one that follows the spec. However, the w3c have also added to the CSS3 draft, the ability to switch box model modes to whichever you like.

Here's one url where you can compare the box models
http://www.communitymx.com/content/a...989953B6F20B41

MS also discusses it here
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...hancements.asp
I didn't say they didn't use a different Box Model I said they do it as they have done it since the beginning, or at least as they do it.

Ah... interesting articles. I am not however sure how that is different? Surely it makes more sense to measure the box as the box - and not as the content. Who sets the height and width of a box, then disregards the boarders in that calculation? It would be stupid to. If you do not include the boarders in the measurements; you come into complications when you're trying to work out the width of the page elements. You have to mentally tally up everything - and even go back to check both width and boarder measurements in order to work it out. Width is the width of the box - not the width of the content. Or you're set the content width and not the div width.

03-07-2005, 11:56 PM
sunspark is offline sunspark
Software:

sunspark is on a distinguished road

Old

I was remarking about the "they do it as they have done it since the beginning": that is what the IE-makers have done all along, differing what the others have done all along. In other words: its kind of not important, just different.

When you go to use it with images, it could get exciting. Either way you've got to tally, its just different tallying, a user preference one way or another.

03-08-2005, 12:07 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Tallying what?

Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2