Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 754 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     General Discussion :

Dealing with the decline in quality forums

Thread title: Dealing with the decline in quality forums
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
05-19-2006, 03:17 PM
TylerL is offline TylerL
Expertise:
Software:

TylerL is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to TylerL

Old  Dealing with the decline in quality forums

Lately, with so many new communities opening and failing to become anything more than a thousand post spam-fest, it makes you wonder why little to none of these forums ever succeed. The reasons are so obliviously obvious that it kind of surprises me that noone seems to catch on. I guess this thread is being written to expose these problems, and hopefully change the way people create and manage their forums.

1. Will your community be beneficial to your users?

The first thing you have to do when starting a community is to find your motive. Are you creating a community for the benefit of the market your site will cater to, or are you doing it for your pocket? If you find that your motive is to make some quick cash, stop now. A site is only as good as it's owner. Who wants to join a community who's leader isn't even interested in the subject matter? The community is (in most cases) doomed from the start. If you find that your motive is to actually benefit others, by means of informative posts, good reading, community involvement and all of those nice things that all of these new 'communities' seem to lack, then you're on your way to creating a successful communtiy.

2. Contests don't attract quality posts

It really confuses me when the owner of a new site sends me a message on MSN saying "Join the new contest on my new forum! Cash prize!". Really, what good is this doing you? People are going to visit your contest thread, consider joining in, but more than likely, they'll see through it.

Contests offering money for posts are a nice thought, but what happens when your contest is over? The posts are going to stop, and you're left with exactly what you started with: A rather large "Chit Chat" forum.

Referal contests? There's nothing stopping users from using multiple e-mail accounts to win that $25 cash prize.

My advice to you is to skip the contests and try to win users over with a unique idea, and by involving yourself in your own community. Not with your PayPal account.

3. Don't even make a General Discussion forum. Just don't.

Take a quick visit to some of these new communities I'm talking about. (I won't link to them directly since I don't feel like getting flamed, but most of you can probably think of some off the top of your head.) Compare the size of their General Discussion forum to the size of their forums that actually deal with the site's subject.

Now, I don't know about any of you, but when I visit "TalkDesign.com", I'm not visiting to comment on the person that posted above me.

4. Design is important, but not that important

For some reason, content seems to play second fiddle to design in all of these new communities. Sure, a nice design will attract users, but is it going to keep them? Not likely. Plan out your forum first, then open Photoshop, and design around what your community (not your portfolio) needs.

-------------

I'll continue this little rant a little later, class is over and I'm pretty hungry

Regards,
Tyler

05-19-2006, 06:15 PM
cpr is offline cpr
Expertise: Design
Software: Photoshop

cpr is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Totally agree with everything said.

05-19-2006, 08:20 PM
northpark is offline northpark
Expertise:
Software:

northpark is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to northpark

Old

Great Read!

One Problem:
This should be in the articles from the expertss forum.

05-19-2006, 08:34 PM
TylerL is offline TylerL
Expertise:
Software:

Old

I'm an expert?

05-19-2006, 08:39 PM
Razvan is offline Razvan
Expertise:
Software:

Razvan is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by TylerL
I'm an expert?
By posting this great article you proved us you're an expert.

05-19-2006, 08:47 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

I disagree with 3, a social forum is a big up when I join a forum.

05-19-2006, 08:53 PM
Spawny is offline Spawny
Expertise:
Software:

Spawny is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Spawny Send a message via MSN to Spawny

Old

Great post.

05-19-2006, 09:01 PM
Cory is offline Cory
Expertise: Fedex Marketing Director.
Software: Firefox.

Cory is on a distinguished road

Old

very nice info there tyler.

05-19-2006, 09:05 PM
Techno is offline Techno
Expertise:
Software:

Techno is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by TylerL
3. Don't even make a General Discussion forum. Just don't.

Take a quick visit to some of these new communities I'm talking about. (I won't link to them directly since I don't feel like getting flamed, but most of you can probably think of some off the top of your head.) Compare the size of their General Discussion forum to the size of their forums that actually deal with the site's subject.

Now, I don't know about any of you, but when I visit "TalkDesign.com", I'm not visiting to comment on the person that posted above me.
The reason people use a General Discussion is because people like to see places that appear full, with a lot of posts, posts for "The Person Above you" attract people to post easily and gradually post more. It might sound stupid but if people have a low post count and find it hard to post in some places it can make them go away and never come back.

05-19-2006, 09:08 PM
TylerL is offline TylerL
Expertise:
Software:

Old

I disagree with 3, a social forum is a big up when I join a forum.

The reason people use a General Discussion is because people like to see places that appear full, with a lot of posts, posts for "The Person Above you" attract people to post easily and gradually post more. It might sound stupid but if people have a low post count and find it hard to post in some places it can make them go away and never come back.
There's usually an introductions forum where you can introduce yourself and have a nice off-topic discussion I just find that the chit-chat section takes over as the primary focus in all of these new sites.

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >