Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 864 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Programming     Flash and Actionscript :

[Flash] Problems with Portfolio

Thread title: [Flash] Problems with Portfolio
Closed Thread    
11-07-2007, 07:44 PM
TinXpH is offline TinXpH
Expertise:
Software:

TinXpH is on a distinguished road

Old  [Flash] Problems with Portfolio

Hello guys,
this is my first post in this forum I'm already feeling quite comfy - anyways, straight to my problem. I have to design a portfolio for an artist. We have to use flash cs3 to create it. Our seminar leader told us to create backgrounds etc acquire his work and get started. We are supposed to have thumbnails on the first page which can be clicked and are then loaded into a movie clip. Since this sounds a bit to simple for me I want to kick it up a notch. What I want to create is quite simple (in theory, to me ):

- preloader
- first page, background image + various buttons on top (home, infos about the artist, portfolio, etc)
- if you click on one of the links an animation is triggered (> animated inside another movie clip) - something fancy, that opens up the (sub-)section the button is leading to...like something fading in from the side...still not sure.

Now, here is my problem. I think the best solution for this would be to link each button to a (gotoAndPlay - movie clip name - frame #) - I have tried some tutorials but none of them really worked and still I have no idea how to do this !!!

Another problem that will appear is that I want the portfolio section to contain clickable thumbnails (well, buttons ) of his work which would then be loaded into a movie clip and displayed (this is not a problem) - but now my question: if you click the "portfolio" link in the menu I want the button to load the movie clip which will fade in my portfolio part with all the thumbnails etc - can I insert them all into the movie clip ? And will the single thumbnails be displayed correctly if I use a transition effect Alpha 0% -> 100 % ? I am a bit worried about this.

I hope you can help me out.

Cheers
TinXpH

11-13-2007, 07:25 PM
TinXpH is offline TinXpH
Expertise:
Software:

TinXpH is on a distinguished road

Old

guys I really need your help

11-18-2007, 01:41 AM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

most of this is just an issue of using the . syntax.

there's 4 ways to use it:

_root.
_root. refers to the topest timeline. you'd use _root.something to call something defined in index.swf from an included swf, or a deeply attached movie clip.

_parent.
_parents goes up one timeline level. IE _root..lvl1.lvl2. in inside lvl2 you need to access a variable defined within lvl1, you'd just use _parent.varname

this.
this just refers to the current timeline - this.gotoAndPlay(1);

instancename.
if you set a movie clip called "preview" to load your images into, on click a button would say something like previews.gotoAndPlay(2), which will start playing the previews timeline at frame 2.

Closed Thread