Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 943 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     Suggestions and Feedback :

Monetizing Visitors.

Thread title: Monetizing Visitors.
09-25-2011, 10:55 PM
Matt is offline Matt
Expertise:
Software:

Matt is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Matt Send a message via MSN to Matt Send a message via Yahoo to Matt

Old  Monetizing Visitors.

I'm sure you guys would wish to ask your users permission before doing something like this, but pretending you already have, implementing something like this would probably help out TFL a great deal.

I'm assuming it only uses the visitor's spare system resources to mine bitcoins, so instead of wasting power it's at least being put to use. If it doesn't we can make our own.

The added revenue could be used for financing the new website, YouTube videos for more profit/(edit: and increased traffic) and so on. Capital can make a lot happen, and Artashes shouldn't have to pay for it all on his own.

Thanked by:
Artashes (09-26-2011)
09-25-2011, 11:36 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

I am unaware of any javascript function that can monitor system resources, I strongly doubt the low usage claims. This is basically a client end web based botnet, it's probably legal but definitely unethical.

Bitcoin is an unregulated financial market, the only reason anyone uses it is because of that. Due to its major use in money laundering, illegal financing and illegal purchases the writing is on the wall; regulation is coming. It's also unreliable, they were recently hacked and lost almost half of their users funds.

09-26-2011, 12:04 AM
JRayers is offline JRayers
Software:

JRayers is on a distinguished road

Old

How BitCoin is still legal is completely beyond me. As Village Genius says it almost definitely funds illegal activity. Creating an unregulated currency should be illegal. It has some interesting applications at a local level but the few examples of faux-currencies with global trade networks show that it is an incredibly dangerous idea.

The service you link to is making the best of a bad thing but even that seems shady.

09-26-2011, 03:58 AM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

After reviewing the javascript and the disassembled Java app this is how it works. The javascript links to a Java app that runs on the computer and runs various tasks. I didn't see any code that minds performance but disassembled code is really hard to read. I distinctly recognized a SHA1 hashing function which makes sense because assisting in rainbow tables is a way to get bitcoins. I don't think that there is a virus in there or anything but it's still unethical to use your user's processor like that.

Thanked by:
Artashes (09-26-2011)
09-26-2011, 04:08 AM
Gaz is offline Gaz
Expertise: Code & Programming
Software: Coda, TextMate, Sublime 2

Gaz will become famous soon enough Gaz will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Skype™ to Gaz

Old

I, personally, would never consider implementing such a thing. Although the decision is in Artashes' hands, of course.

09-26-2011, 04:47 AM
Artashes is offline Artashes
Expertise: Media, business development
Software: Excel, Pen&Paper, Slack, Figma

Artashes is on a distinguished road

Old

Matt, I highly appreciate the idea that you brought forward and appreciate you thinking about TF's benefit. In all honestly, I have not heard of Bitcoin prior to your post, so I have to do some reading even before I can say I either like or dislike the idea.

There are many ways to earn revenue with a community. From the looks of it, while I am still trying to comprehend Bitcoin and how it can be applied in the case with TF (how you saw it work exactly and what puzzle solving mentioned on the website you linked to have anything to do with earning Bitcoin currency), but if it involves making revenue at user's expense with or without their knowledge, then this kind of route is the furthest from the one I'd like to take.

As new technology, I'd still do some reading into Bitcoin just to learn what it is about.

PS: Thank you, VG, for checking the code of this app.