Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1161 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Programming :

Java and PHP?

Thread title: Java and PHP?
12-07-2011, 11:38 PM
kac1022 is offline kac1022
Expertise: webdesign
Software: Dreamweaver/Photoshop

kac1022 is on a distinguished road

Old  Java and PHP?

So I currently am pretty good with HTML/CSS. Dreamweaver helped break the ice even more. BTW I am a graphic design student focusing mainly on web design at the moment.
I havent been taught any Java or pHP but it is something I read about while doing my research online. Is this something I need to learn or can I get away with using javascript that other provide free of charge on the web. I do not see why I couldnt, but I justwant to ake sure before I land a gig and get in over my head.

And whats up with Wordpress?

Thanks! Pretty sure you can tell Im a newbie

12-08-2011, 12:37 AM
newkid is offline newkid
Software: Photoshop, Sublime Text2,MS VS

newkid is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to newkid

Old

If your intention is to continue as a web designer, Java and PHP will not be needed. Web Development is an other thing. Although, you can use a moderate knowledge of PHP. JavaScript libraries such as JQuery, Ajax and etc are in demand and are usually considered one of the basic languages used for Web 2.0 as well as HTML5 and etc. I would suggest you learn both JavaScript and PHP. But learn JavaScript first because 1. it is an easier language than PHP to learn and 2. it is a slim chance you will be asked to do any PHP programming as a web designer (but not impossible).

Thanked by:
kac1022 (12-08-2011)
12-08-2011, 02:05 AM
kac1022 is offline kac1022
Expertise: webdesign
Software: Dreamweaver/Photoshop

kac1022 is on a distinguished road

Old

Thanks. I head read somewhere to start with Java before PHP. I was not sure how important PHP was but I knew Java would be needed in some cases for sure. Your answer was very helpful!

12-08-2011, 02:49 AM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

Originally Posted by kac1022 View Post
Thanks. I head read somewhere to start with Java before PHP. I was not sure how important PHP was but I knew Java would be needed in some cases for sure.
There is a very important distinction to be made here. Java and Javascript have nothing in common. Java is a multi-platform programming language that can also be embedded as an applet (although those are becoming more rare for a number of reasons). Javascript is designed to work with HTML and CSS to provide a good looking experience. I don't see a reason to learn javascript first, while it is easier in some ways it is much harder in other ways (PHP hits errors much more elegantly).

PHP is used for server side coding, this forum software for instance is written in PHP. Server side languages execute on the server so the client has no form of access to it, this allows you to access databases and such that use passwords the client should not know. Javascript executes on the client's browser and is really limited to style stuff and sending off other requests. Since it can be seen and bypassed easily by anyone it should never do anything more than make life easier. If it's failure would present a security compromise it shouldn't be used.

In the end though its not very important, once you are an experienced programmer languages are only minor differences. I've been programming for about 9 years and to name a few off the top of my head I know PHP, C, C++, Java, VB, C#, Python, Javascript and CGI/PERL. Perl and Python I picked up in a single day not because I'm particularly smart or anything, but because they share the same concepts as all the others I know.

In your instance it is all about what you want to do. Server side programming is its own field, you can't just pick it up and treat it as a side project since security issues are at stake. If you want to get into programming do it but understand you are going to have to spend time getting good at it. Javascript can be trivially picked up as long as you know what not to do with it..

12-08-2011, 11:37 PM
.Nick is offline .Nick
Software:

.Nick is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Village Genius View Post
In the end though its not very important, once you are an experienced programmer languages are only minor differences. I've been programming for about 9 years and to name a few off the top of my head I know PHP, C, C++, Java, VB, C#, Python, Javascript and CGI/PERL. Perl and Python I picked up in a single day not because I'm particularly smart or anything, but because they share the same concepts as all the others I know.
I'd say the difference between C/C++ and Python, Perl, PHP, Javascript is a bit more than minor. Pointers/pointer arithmetic, memory management, and operator overloading take some getting used to.

12-08-2011, 11:56 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

Originally Posted by .Nick View Post
I'd say the difference between C/C++ and Python, Perl, PHP, Javascript is a bit more than minor. Pointers/pointer arithmetic, memory management, and operator overloading take some getting used to.
I guess -- I learned C++ first so that never occurred to me.