Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1690 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     General Discussion :

I know it's "recession" but...

Thread title: I know it's "recession" but...
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
06-20-2009, 06:41 PM
spencerp is offline spencerp
Expertise:
Software:

spencerp is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via AIM to spencerp Send a message via MSN to spencerp Send a message via Yahoo to spencerp

Old

Originally Posted by JamieH View Post
It's going to be like this for the next few years as well
God, I hope not! Dang, that would suck.

Originally Posted by JamieH View Post
I'm not a good designer but when sales don't go through regularly you just think what's the point, i like doing design as a hobby but when you don't have time to do it unless you're getting paid for it i lose interest.
I totally agree. I'm not a great designer either, really only resorted to designing as another form of income because coding work is nil. Well, it wouldn't be nil if I charged super low fees for it. And I can't / don't want to do that. Someone already told me to just design up a huge stack of designs, then when the market gets a little better, then have a clear out sale or something. I'd do that too, but, online income is all I have at the moment.

06-20-2009, 09:25 PM
creativejen is offline creativejen
Expertise: design, front-end markup
Software: Photoshop

creativejen is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via MSN to creativejen

Old

If online income is your only source, then I suggest pulling your finger out and doing something about it. If online income is your only source, and its still not working for you after all this time, then I highly recommend looking at your choices. This is your life, what happens to it depends on the choices you make.

Make one, today. Time is inevitable.

06-20-2009, 09:52 PM
solarisedesign is offline solarisedesign
Expertise:
Software:

solarisedesign is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to solarisedesign

Old

I would highly recommend following enigma's advice - Clients need to know that you're a professional, you do professional work, and you get paid professional rates.

Unfortunately, with the number of people, and companies saying "I'll do you x for $10" and then doing a shoddy job, clients expect (a) the job won't be done well and (b) they won't have to pay much for that sort of service

Try and get in touch with some decent clients, people who know the value of good service, and who are willing to pay for it. They are out there, believe me

06-21-2009, 01:35 AM
Gurnk is offline Gurnk
Expertise:
Software:

Gurnk is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Gurnk Send a message via MSN to Gurnk

Old

I don't usually like to bicker, but just something I'd like to point out.

Why would someone pay your $500 listing price, when they can view your forum history and see that if they wait 20 hours, you'll cut the price in half because "you need a quick sale."

If you say "no lower than xxx" don't sell it for lower than xxx. It's quite predictable how most people's designs here will sell. It may seem like the product has to sell that day, but there's no rush. Like Salethe said, sometimes getting one big paycheck once a month works out to be just fine.

07-15-2009, 10:44 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Send a message via AIM to spencerp Send a message via MSN to spencerp Send a message via Yahoo to spencerp

Old

Thanks Adam and Spencer. I know your points. Adam is straight forward and tells it like is...I like that about Adam. No Bull****. However... how can you sit there and think ... My work is worth more than your mother on a street corner selling her ass... And not make the money?

Come on man!! Here is how people think these days.. Seriously..

"Oh, I see you're selling a pile of dog poo... I'll buy it for $100.00!!" .. "Oh, your selling a Mona Lisa painting, I'll give you 50 cents!"

Come on!! People expect **** from a worker, and expect millions from copyright infringes. I rather pay $100.00 for repeating crap, than for $100.00 for something 100% unique. And it's true. It's ****ed up. People rather shell out hundreds for a repeated pile of crap design, than spend a hundred on pages worth of designs 100% unique. It's bull****. They're ****ing retards. I remember when guys used to buy stuff 100% unique ONLY. Because they wanted to be different than the rest out there.

Now the "in thing" is to buy up the same crap of everyone else and spend millions to get it. "Oh, I want my site and store to look like Wal-mart" or whatever. I'll pay 8 billion to get it!! I don't want my OWN design for my site.. I want to look like 5,000 thousand others out there! Hippy Skippy!" .. .Pfft please.. you ****ing retard mother****ers.

07-15-2009, 05:15 PM
Sahil is offline Sahil
Expertise:
Software:

Sahil is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via AIM to Sahil Send a message via MSN to Sahil

Old

Stop thinking and writing and ****ing just do it. That's what I say.

07-15-2009, 05:41 PM
nomatch is offline nomatch
Software:

nomatch is on a distinguished road

Old

Well, I think it's more a case of people wanting to spend their money wisely. To be honest, I wouldn't spend $10 on some of the designs sold here, even though it's only $10, it's STILL $10!!

Thus, I'd put it down, like Salathe, to the quality of designs. If theres a brilliant design for $600, I'll buy it, but only if it is of a high standard.

07-15-2009, 06:05 PM
triadink is offline triadink
Software:

triadink is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to triadink Send a message via Yahoo to triadink

Old

where i live there in NC it was all about furniture factories, i was a IT manager in one...they have all shut down due to foreign trade....most have moved to china or mexico now. I am currently unemployed as well as over 6000 other furniture employees in my community.

We were lucky to get Dell computers to setup shop in our area but within the last couple of months they have laid off over half of their workforce.

So yes things are bad and im sure its not just in my area (NC)

as for prices on some designs ive seen lately its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, if its a great design i will pay good...if its trash i wont bid...then you see people get mad when they dont get offers....Im so sick of a thread title saying "amazing design" "awesome design" "professional design" and go in the thread and look like a 10yr old made it in 15 mins. If its worth it and someone needs it, it will bring its price!

Originally Posted by quentin123 View Post
moreover how many people are REALLY and DIRECTLY touched by the recession ? not that many in my opinion , they just use it as a way of negociation that is all

07-15-2009, 10:35 PM
RileyWritter is offline RileyWritter
Software:

RileyWritter is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by textz View Post
Well, I think it's more a case of people wanting to spend their money wisely. To be honest, I wouldn't spend $10 on some of the designs sold here, even though it's only $10, it's STILL $10!!

Thus, I'd put it down, like Salathe, to the quality of designs. If theres a brilliant design for $600, I'll buy it, but only if it is of a high standard.
Indeed

07-15-2009, 10:44 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

I agree with you guys/gals totally. I don't blame anyone for doing that. I guess I see it as, if you're a school teacher... you don't shaft the teacher out of money because of "bad times" though.

The teacher is paid regardless of economy times. Designers and coders are online doing work most of their time. There shouldn't be a price drop nor discount nor anything really. It's what they do, it's their living, it's their income. Not, "thanks mechanic for fixing my car, but I won't pay you but 10% of the bill. Hey, it's hard times now!" .. and drive off with a fixed car and get away with it.

Designers and coders, WORK for money too. I guess that's the point I'm trying to make. People want designs or coded templates for nothing. How can you expect a designer that spent a week or two on design, to give it up for pennies? And also throws in coding as well, or not? Either way, it's work. Period.

And like Gurnk (Spencer) said above there, most people know designers / coders or whatever, will drop their prices after 24 to 48 hours anyway. Which really shouldn't happen at all. But does, because the "buyers" basically "force" the sellers to sell for near nothing. If no one bids, nor buys at asking prices, it's basically "Forcing" sellers to sell for nothing. And it's wrong really. It's like telling the teacher, work this year, but you might not make the years income, you might only get a low % worth. Sorry!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >