Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 708 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Graphic Design, Multimedia and Photography :

How to start a project

Thread title: How to start a project
12-27-2010, 04:43 PM
Sani is offline Sani
Software:

Sani is on a distinguished road

Old  How to start a project

Hello Everyone!
Today i want to ask a question from you designers. I am a starter in graphic design scene. I want to ask that how you guys come up with new ideas for your designs? I sometimes stuck with creativity and cannot start a project because of that. Some people say me to google up what you're designing for innovation and then design something new from that.

I do this and i become able to design because of this strategy but i want to ask from pros that is it right i am doing? I am confused because i don't use my ideas from scratch. I take someone idea and make something new from that. For example; if i were to design a flyer for a I.T firm i will search for related flyers and then choose some reference and try to make some new design from that. Please help me about it, Thanks!

Regards,

12-28-2010, 08:26 PM
Morning is offline Morning
Expertise: web design, writing, proofread
Software: HomeSite, Paint Shop Pro

Morning is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

I think your method of coming up with the design is not bad, as long as you are careful to use the *idea* and not the actual content (copyright laws, and all). Talking about details with the client will often help you come up with ideas, also; plus, you are more sure to end up with something with which the client will be pleased.

01-06-2011, 10:39 AM
choc is offline choc
Expertise: Design
Software: Photoshop, Illustrator

choc is on a distinguished road

Old

Hi. Can't say I'm a pro but I believe the method you mentioned is how we all start as designers (well, we have to start somewhere). The problem I've experienced on some occasions with this method, is getting "over-inspired". It may not be intentional but there is the danger of copying the inspiration. Yes, I may change the colors, a little repositioning of elements and stuff but somehow, it ends up a little too similar to the "source". It may not be obvious to others but then I would feel a little guilty. That's my sign I was over-inspired so I end up starting from scratch, which actually leads me to create something original. It's good practice, though. I learn faster and design better.

Another way I can suggest is to look for inspiration from other media or other forms of design. Like when designing a flier, why not look through business cards or posters. Or for web design, look through some photography. I sometimes get ideas that way.

Just my thoughts, and thanks for bringing this up. I'd love to know what the pros do too.

Grace

01-10-2011, 12:34 AM
meltingwaves is offline meltingwaves
Expertise: designing, blogging
Software: Adobe Creative Suite CS5

meltingwaves is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to meltingwaves

Old

Sani,

I believe that the best way to get new design inspiration is to completely remove yourself from the design scene all together and take the time to view the world around you. I find that I get a decent amount of inspiration when I'm browsing other artist's works online, but I get even more inspiration when I'm far away from my computer and the internet in general.

I like to go outside and meditate, when the weather permits, and I always keep a notebook and pen beside me to jot down creative ideas I have along the way. When you remove yourself from everything design-related in your environment, you begin to subconsciously take in design-related elements in the world around you.

I was once thinking of a new idea for a t-shirt I wanted to design and I was browsing various t-shirt galleries online to get inspiration. They were all very cool, but for some reason, there was just a block between seeing the inspiration and getting inspired. I went outside with my notebook, and begin to meditate in my backyard, even though it was a bit chilly outside. When my mind had cleared, I opened my eyes and saw that it was snowing. I witnessed the beauty of the snow falling on the earth around me and then for some reason I just immediately remembered always being told that no two snowflakes were ever the same. I imagined that it would be funny if snowflakes all had personalities and how it would be even funnier if two of the same snowflakes bumped into each other. Imagine their reaction! I then designed a shirt that had a bunch of different snowflake designs on it, and in the middle there were two identical snowflakes shocked to be looking at one another.

Do you see how completely removing yourself from the design world can inspire the most creative ideas? I'd definitely advice trying it out. Good luck my friend.

01-12-2011, 03:42 PM
adispez is offline adispez
Software:

adispez is on a distinguished road

Old

Hi Sani!

When I start to design a template, I often search for keywords fitting to the topic of the website. Try to brainstorm your ideas, pictures and get inspiration from comparable websites.

Then start to scribble and start to design

(sorry for my english, im practicing it)