Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1371 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Web Hosting and Domain Names :

My experience with Jumpline

Thread title: My experience with Jumpline
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
12-21-2011, 11:21 AM
UKMatt is offline UKMatt
Software:

UKMatt is on a distinguished road

Old  My experience with Jumpline

DO NOT HOST WITH JUMPLINE.

The very nice people at Jumpline (please detect the sarcasm) charged me over $100 without my consent and then refused to pay me back or cancel the account.

I signed up for a free 1 year subscription with another hosting company (something I didn't even use). At the time, they told me that they would not charge me for another year unless I expressly stated that I wanted to continue hosting with them.

1 year later, I get an email from Jumpline (not the same company I signed up with - apparently Jumpline acquired them) invoicing me for over $100. The email gets into my spam folder and I find out when my bank balance has been charged for $100.

I contacted the Jumpline support who stated that they cannot refund me. I was extremely pissed off... so I thought, screw it, take the hit, cancel the account so the same thing doesn't happen next year? Their response 'Sorry we will not cancel your account'. Ohhhh great! So you totally screw me over, I pay you for something I did not want/will not use, and you won't even cancel it?

My account was with a domain I didn't even own anymore... why the hell would I have wanted hosting? The whole thing was nonsensical and I could just imagine the customer support team sitting there laughing with their middle finger up at the computer screen whilst typing their BS responses.

When I spoke to my bank, they told me that they could not intercept the funds (I didn't pay via cc), but they said that at the point I asked for a refund... the company hadn't even received the funds, and they could have easily not accepted them had they chose to - a point that Jumpline deny.

Over the years I have contributed over 1132 posts to this forum and therefore am unsure of why my initial response would be deleted to make this awful company look better.

Once again, DO NOT HOST WITH JUMPLINE.

MOD NOTE: The comment was originally posted in the marketplace, which is against the rules of this community.

12-21-2011, 11:20 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

Sorry to hear, it seems that you're not the only one who have this happen, reading reviews here they have a history of fraudulent charges.

12-21-2011, 11:58 PM
Artashes is offline Artashes
Expertise: Media, business development
Software: Excel, Pen&Paper, Slack, Figma

Artashes is on a distinguished road

Old

All it takes is basic homework before signing up for any service. I've learned it on my skin at least a couple of times early on.

Especially true for web hosting services. It is not difficult to search for reviews or ask for some on Google as well as specialty communities:

www.webhostingtalk.com
www.hostingdiscussion.com

12-22-2011, 07:26 PM
UKMatt is offline UKMatt
Software:

UKMatt is on a distinguished road

Old

The thing is... I didn't sign up for Jumpline. I signed up with another company, who were acquired by Jumpline. I didn't even know who Jumpline were until they billed me.

When I got the invoice... I replied to it stating that I had no idea who the company were or what they were charging me for.... no reply.

I want to cancel my account... they won't let me until 1 month before it's due date. Why? Clearly so they can do exactly the same, ignore my request and charge me again.

12-22-2011, 07:41 PM

Old

Go on the offensive, use up as much server resources as you can and they'll ban you. I'll quickly write a script that does that.

12-22-2011, 07:58 PM

Old

Call your bank and report a fraudulent charge if you never signed-up for the services. Usually banks will take 4-6 weeks on investigation, but will credit you the charges in the end if you stick to your guns.

12-22-2011, 07:59 PM

Old

Originally Posted by Village Genius View Post
Go on the offensive, use up as much server resources as you can and they'll ban you. I'll quickly write a script that does that.

Please do, this gives me some other ideas - for testing purposes of companies that offer "unlimited" resources.

12-22-2011, 08:58 PM

Old

I have three scripts. One to create as many rows as possible, one to slowly do fulltext searches though them and one to stress the filesystem. Set a cron to run these as frequently as possible, the server will probably kill all PHP scripts after 30 seconds of execution. If you have a minimum time (such as one minute) set multiple jobs to span over the times. Running together these took my i7 as high as a 50% load, averaging around 20% (which is massive in a shared environment). Make sure the change the DB credentials and $testpath

Create this database
Code:
CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `test` (
  `hash` varchar(40) NOT NULL,
  `value` text NOT NULL
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1;
PHP Code:
<?php
$host
="localhost";
$user="mistake";
$pass="123456";
$db="test";
while(
1)
{

$pool="";
    for(
$i=0;$i<10;$i++)
    {

$pool="ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz1234567890-=_+[]{};':,./<>?`~!@#$%^&*()";

$pool=str_split($pool);

$str .= $pool[rand()%(sizeof($pool)-1)];
    }

mysql_connect($host,$user,$pass);

mysql_select_db($db); //See if they figure out what that stnads for

mysql_query("SELECT * FROM test WHERE VALUE LIKE '%" mysql_real_escape_string($str) . "%'") or die(mysql_error());

mysql_close();
}
?>
PHP Code:
<?php
error_reporting
(0);        

while(
1)
{

$tetpath="http://localhost/testFile.txt";        

$myFile "testFile.txt";

$fh fopen($myFile'a') or die("can't open file");

$content=file_get_contents($textPath);

$stringData sha1($content) . $content;

fwrite($fh$stringData);

fclose($fh);
}
PHP Code:
<?php
error_reporting
(0);
$host="localhost";
$user="mistake";
$pass="123456";
$db="test";

while(
1)
{

$pool="";

for(
$j=0;$j<40;$j++)
    {

mysql_connect($host,$user,$pass);

mysql_select_db($db); //See if they figure out what that stnads for

$pool="ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz1234567890-=_+[]{};':,./<>?`~!@#$%^&*()";

$pool=str_split($pool);

$str .= $pool[rand()%(sizeof($pool)-1)];

mysql_query("INSERT INTO test VALUES ('" sha1($str) . "','"mysql_real_escape_string($str) . "');");

mysql_close();

$myFile "testFile.txt";

$fh fopen($myFile'a') or die("can't open file");

$stringData =  $str;

fwrite($fh$stringData);

fclose($fh);
    }

}
?>

Thanked by:
Artashes (12-22-2011)
12-22-2011, 09:18 PM

Old

Now see, this is something that web hosts are well protected against in their Terms of Service. They promise unlimited resources in terms of disk space and bandwidth. Once a site starts to consume a lot, or create a higher load on CPU, they will cancel the account (which, I guess, is the point of your scripts).

However, is there a way that would test their promise of unlimited resources (space/bandwidth) without overloading the CPU? For example, something that will continuously download something off your site?

12-22-2011, 09:51 PM

Old

Probably not, servers have to read the file off the hard drive to send it out and that takes a lot of time to do in such a slow way. That will tie up the hard drive and make any read very slow, near everything takes a read from the hard drive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >