Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 2125 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Programming     Development Software and Tools :

Computers without Microsoft?

Thread title: Computers without Microsoft?
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
06-30-2005, 11:25 AM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old  Computers without Microsoft?

Hey everyone,

Where do you think computers would be now without Microsoft? I mean, Microsoft in my eyes are responsible for alot in the development of software and bringing computers to the home user.

Do you think another company such as Apple or an open source system would have just replaced Microsoft? Personally I think there would be a big divide as to what operating system everyone chooses to run and I also think this would raise alot of incompatibility issues and such. I also think fewer homes would have computers.

06-30-2005, 03:37 PM
jamesyfx is offline jamesyfx
Expertise: Design
Software: TextEdit

jamesyfx is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to jamesyfx

Old

I'd say without Microsoft, .. we wouldn't have anything like it is now.

The games, the interfaces, the options - I'd say we'd still be in the dark ages.

06-30-2005, 04:19 PM
gellpak is offline gellpak
Expertise:
Software:

gellpak is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to gellpak

Old

I don't know, I kinda think that without Microsoft the world would have exploded.

06-30-2005, 04:20 PM
t0m is offline t0m
Expertise:
Software:

t0m is on a distinguished road

Old

Microsft are pivotal in the existance in almost everything on our pc's today.

Even people who dont use Microsoft software or Mircosoft OS's have a lot to thank microsoft for: the massive influence microsoft has had on other companies, leading to greater compitition and a stronger market.

Also the level of support that Microsoft offer, not only for there own products, but also for the compatibility of other companies products. Microsoft bring customer value to the computer industry.

Plus they gave us msn :P

06-30-2005, 05:31 PM
sliceandcode is offline sliceandcode
Expertise:
Software:

sliceandcode is on a distinguished road

Old

We'd all hate Apple right now.

06-30-2005, 06:24 PM
Imagenesis is offline Imagenesis
Software:

Imagenesis is on a distinguished road

Old

I love Microsoft. Everything I was going to say was already mentioned. I can express my love for the company.

06-30-2005, 06:38 PM
ismith is offline ismith
Software:

ismith is on a distinguished road

Old

We'd be exactly where we are now. Apple pioneered the GUI. Then Bill and Steve were friends. That's why Windows has close buttons on the left of the toolbar, the start bar at the bottom. The only thing different would be no MS Word, Powerpoint, or Excel. Or WMP, which is easily replaced by Quicktime. Oh and there'd be no MSN Messenger, everyone would have .Mac messenger (it's like using MSN only in iChat). There wouldn't be any huge differences, look deep into the history, what technology, not program, but technology did MS invent? Apple with Steve Jobs and a group of guys from New York invented the Mouse, and the GUI. W/O Apple, MS would be nowhere ^_^

06-30-2005, 07:58 PM
Bazza` is offline Bazza`
Expertise:
Software:

Bazza` is on a distinguished road

Old

There is a reason Microsoft is more popular than Apple you know and its not because MicroSoft took Apples' GUI idea that was something that would have always came along it wouldn't have took a geniuos to pioneer that idea would it?

Fact is without Microsoft most software would not be as powerfull and stable as they are today, which in turn would would lead to less developed hardware (whats the point in making advanced hardware if the programmes dont need it?)

06-30-2005, 08:22 PM
echoepidemic is offline echoepidemic
Expertise:
Software:

echoepidemic is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to echoepidemic Send a message via MSN to echoepidemic

Old

Dos

06-30-2005, 09:15 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Bazza`
There is a reason Microsoft is more popular than Apple you know and its not because MicroSoft took Apples' GUI idea that was something that would have always came along it wouldn't have took a geniuos to pioneer that idea would it?

Fact is without Microsoft most software would not be as powerfull and stable as they are today, which in turn would would lead to less developed hardware (whats the point in making advanced hardware if the programmes dont need it?)
microsoft is more propular because the majority of computer users aren't cosnidered much above computer literate. They can use word processcors and parts of the internet.

Microsoft engineered (in the later years anyways) windows as the common person's OS. Windows is now designed for the average joe slop to peak at checking his email and surfing the net on IE. It's designed for a personal atmosphere. XP is completely idiot proofed (almost).

Macs are designed for a profesissional/business environment. They don't have massive program/game support because WoW doesn't belong at work unless you work for blizzard.

Without microsoft people who don't NEED computers wouldn't have them. (see 13 yr old kids who just want msn & to be leet in counterstrike).

without microsoft, today software wouldn't be engineered towards windows as the primary OS and many people who shouldn't be ung computeres wouldn't be. this is just my opnion.

i agree microsoft has made a major impact on the computer industry, but if they hadn't someone else would have. don't give them TOO much credit.

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >