Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1395 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Articles From The Experts :

Spelling!

Thread title: Spelling!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
04-24-2010, 02:10 AM
cbri is offline cbri
Expertise:
Software: notepad

cbri is on a distinguished road

Old  Spelling!

I hate coming across a great site with amazing content only to find no one runs spell checking. Its really not all that hard, a few clicks (or a dozen) and you are done. Its really not that hard.

04-24-2010, 05:50 PM
freeme is offline freeme
Software:

freeme is on a distinguished road

Old

This makes me think which is really important in articles, the content or the sentence structure. There are even some articles with wrong grammars although I still get the writer's view.

I guess I have to answer my question that both qualities are needed to have a good, if not great, article.

04-24-2010, 06:00 PM
Kevin112 is offline Kevin112
Software:

Kevin112 is on a distinguished road

Old

Spelling mistakes bother me the most in sites that are trying to sell me something as if they can't spend time checking their grammar, how am I supposed to trust that they take care with my order?

As for blogs and smaller sites, as long as it's not frequent in the article I usually just ignore them or point them out via the comments as long as I can still understand the typo. The usage of the wrong word is another common mistake but that one is more forgivable as spell checkers can't verify that.

04-25-2010, 08:42 PM
santa is offline santa
Expertise: Design, HTML
Software: Espresso, Photoshop, Mail.app

santa is on a distinguished road

Send a message via ICQ to santa Send a message via AIM to santa Send a message via MSN to santa Send a message via Yahoo to santa Send a message via Skype™ to santa

Old

"I hate coming across a great site with amazing content only to find no one runs spell checking. Its really not all that hard, a few clicks (or a dozen) and you are done. Its really not that hard."

I hate coming across a great site with amazing content, only to find that nobody has run a spell-check. It's really not that hard; a few clicks, or a dozen, and you're done.

I assume that's what you meant. Hypocrisy ftl.

04-26-2010, 07:07 PM
SenseiSteve is offline SenseiSteve
Expertise: Sales & Marketing
Software: Dreamweaver and Photoshop

SenseiSteve is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to SenseiSteve Send a message via Skype™ to SenseiSteve

Old

I definitely take notice when I run across a site with poor grammar. Spell check won't catch every mistake, but it does help. The better the content, the more I tend to overlook the grammar, though.

06-14-2010, 04:29 AM
SpellItOut is offline SpellItOut
Software:

SpellItOut is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by santa View Post
"I hate coming across a great site with amazing content only to find no one runs spell checking. Its really not all that hard, a few clicks (or a dozen) and you are done. Its really not that hard."

I hate coming across a great site with amazing content, only to find that nobody has run a spell-check. It's really not that hard; a few clicks, or a dozen, and you're done.

I assume that's what you meant. Hypocrisy ftl.

Ha! Ha! I wonder if the thread starter has seen your post? It did just say "spell-check" and NOT sentence construction-check. Right?

I need coffee. lol

06-26-2010, 09:18 PM
Arictos is offline Arictos
Expertise:
Software:

Arictos is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Arictos Send a message via MSN to Arictos

Old

.. I am at least a something cool ..
Doesn't your signature have a little bit of difficulty? :P

06-30-2010, 10:30 PM
DanceFever is offline DanceFever
Software:

DanceFever is on a distinguished road

Old

Well, it pays if you can spell very well. My question is: "What if your target audience does not know how to spell well too?" Does spelling still count then?

07-01-2010, 05:53 PM
whateverdood is offline whateverdood
Expertise: tech god
Software:

whateverdood is on a distinguished road

Old

Dancefever spelling always counts, though I see what you're saying. And that does have its place imo, in certain context/demographics.

OP ..... OCD much ? lol. The majority of the web is in english. While not all the people who participate on the web. Speak it as their primary language.

While I prefer quality english/communication skills in the content of something Im interested in. According to my gf ... my grammar skills are atrocious.

Point Im trying to make, its more the quality of the message sometimes. Than the grammar, or how its structured. I used to make fun of people who speak broken english. But then one day realized ... they speak 2 langs. While I can barely handle my native tongue.

One of my quotes. "Truth, wherever you find it ... is valid."

Im sure I have run on sentences in this post. Missing comma's and no doubt terrible punctuation !!! DAMMIT !!! AHHHHHHH.

misc obs: Sighs, ... there went 3 mins of my life I'll never get back posting this.

07-02-2010, 02:42 AM
DanceFever is offline DanceFever
Software:

DanceFever is on a distinguished road

Old

Hmm okay, point taken, mister doooood... hehehe. I came from a family where we had latin American roots and well... my abuela did not really speak excellent English and her spelling is really really bad but my father always said... it does not matter as long as you are understood. Communication, not punctuation. LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >